PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Anybody else notice a change in C&D's use of Cyrpian latakia to Turkish latakia in certain blends? I just noticed at smokingpipes that the Two Friends blend English Chocolate now features Turkish Latakia(along with a label change). I was wondering if there are anymore blends that changed and now feature it. Obviously, From Beyond features it and it's absolutely amazing. What I've noticed is the Turkish latakia is smoother and more mellow. In no way would I consider it less than it's Cyprian counterpart. Maybe it works better for certain blends. It's definitely a subtle difference, but you can still tell it's no doubt latakia and of really good quality. It's nothing to be afraid of, just wondering if anybody else picked up on this.

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I didn't mean for this to be "Cyprian Latakia is running out!" thread, but yes I have heard about that. I have also heard that the way this Turkish latakia is being produced is more in a BBQ style fashion, thus making it more efficient than a barn style produced latakia. Also, I wouldn't dare say that all Gl Pease Englishes and other blends have been affected.

Reactions: JOHN72

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I DMed C&D head blender Jeremy Reeves last September and he told me then that they had been using Turkish latakia in all their products for about a year. Of course, everyone tasted the difference immediately. ;)
It's nearing ten years since I last bought anything with Latakia in it. I was oblivious to the changes until it's been popping up on multiple forums as of late.

Reactions: mingc and JOHN72
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
You won't be able to know unless you know exactly when the changeover happened in a particular blend. I posted pictures in another thread that I bought a test tin of the new English Chocolate hoping to sample the Turkish Latakia listed on the label. What I got was a new label on a tin from June 2022. Were they using it in 2022? I don't know. I now have tins from 2019, 2021 and this latest "new" label from 2022. The old labels of English Chocolate simply state "latakia" with no country origin.

Have you compared it to a blend that you know for a fact previously had Cyprian and now definitely was tinned with Turkish? That's what I was hoping to do.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
But it’s not just Latakia it’s everything. Dunhill ceased production sighting varietal availability as main reason, Mc Clelland too and the list goes on. As a farmer I can vouch for how produce changes depending on where it’s grown and soil it’s grown in, tobacco is no different. These losses will continue and blends will change and smokers will adapt, this immutable fact is time immemorial.

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
You won't be able to know unless you know exactly when the changeover happened in a particular blend. I posted pictures in another thread that I bought a test tin of the new English Chocolate hoping to sample the Turkish Latakia listed on the label. What I got was a new label on a tin from June 2022. Were they using it in 2022? I don't know. I now have tins from 2019, 2021 and this latest "new" label from 2022. The old labels of English Chocolate simply state "latakia" with no country origin.

Have you compared it to a blend that you know for a fact previously had Cyprian and now definitely was tinned with Turkish? That's what I was hoping to do.
It hasn't ever been unusual for a blend to say anything other than Latakia in its contents. They don't usually specify unless it's Turkish or Syrian. This thread wasn't to start some shit, it was supposed to ask if any blends from C&D(the only people to use Turkish lat other than Pecce Canoe that I'm aware of) have subbed its use. So far, I believe C&D to be honest of their contents and letting their customer know of changes. This is turning into a game of telephone poll for young children where you all sit in a circle and whisper a message in the next kid's ear and see how distorted it gets when the last child hears what the original message is supposed to be. And no, I haven't had the chance to try a blend that wasn't specifically labeled Turkish after it was Cyprian. It's pretty obvious that it (Turkish Lat) is the star tobacco used in From Beyond 2023, but to me it is only slightly more subtle than Cyprian. Which maybe what they were going for anyway what with the aged Nightcap theme. If anybody wants to know what Turkish Lat's about, I highly recommend giving From Beyond a go.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
It hasn't ever been unusual for a blend to say anything other than Latakia in its contents. They don't usually specify unless it's Turkish or Syrian. This thread wasn't to start some shit, it was supposed to ask if any blends from C&D(the only people to use Turskish lat other than Pecce Canoe that I'm aware of) have subbed its use. So far, I believe C&D to be honest of their contents and letting their customer know of changes. This is turning into a game of telephone poll for young children where you all sit in a circle and whisper a message in the next kid's ear and see how distorted it gets when the last child hears what the original message is supposed to be. And no, I haven't had the chance to try a blend that wasn't specifically labeled Turkish after it was Cyprian. It's pretty obvious that it (Turkish Lat) is the star tobacco used in From Beyond 2023, but to me it is only slightly more subtle than Cyprian. Which maybe what they were going for anyway what with the aged Nightcap theme. If anybody wants to know what Turkish Lat's about, I highly recommend giving From Beyond a go.
My post was simply a comment on how you can’t tell for sure a difference in a blend comparison without knowing exactly which tinning date was the start of the substitute. My label saying “Turkish Latakia” that I purchased this week but being a June 2022 tin date does not confirm to me it’s worth trying to compare to previous iterations I own. If I made the purchase last month, I probably would have gotten the old label without that distinction. Does it actually have Turkish? Beats the hell out of me.

It’s also worth mentioning that the past few years other blenders as well have starting listing our varietal origins and even crop years, I’m guessing as a marketing play. Sutliff is another that’s started identifying country/state/year origins of their components. I expect to keep seeing more of it.

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
It's nearing ten years since I last bought anything with Latakia in it. I was oblivious to the changes until it's been popping up on multiple forums as of late.
What the hell does that mean? This sounds like some shit to me...lol.
I'm not poking fun at you. Some of us like different tobacco styles, but we all use the forum to help us to understand more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chasing Embers

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I guess I'm out of the loop. I haven't even heard of Turkish latakia before reading this. I knew that Syrian is no longer made and that Cyprian had replaced it, but had never seen Turkish latakia mentioned anywhere. When did we start seeing it in blends?
Pretty much 2023 to my understanding. I don't think it's become a big thing yet and that doesn't necessarily mean it ever will be.