Anyone Have Any Thoughts on Cooking Carp Steaks?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
How to prepare carp:

1. Skin, gut, and filet the fish.
2. Do not offer the offal to your cat or dog - they will not eat it.
3. Rinse the fillets, then soak in salt water for 30-minutes.
4. Place the fillets on a cedar plank (these can be purchased at Williams Sonoma et al).
5. Bake out-of-doors for 25-minutes at medium heat. Do NOT bake indoors unless you really enjoy fish-ghosting.
6. Remove from heat and season with melted butter and herbs.
7. Remove fillets from plank.
8. Throw fillets away.
9. Plate plank, garnish with parsley, and enjoy!

Last edited:

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
There is a pace in Omaha called Joe Tesh that serves up a bunch of carp 4,5,6 time a week that when they aren't eating corn they're chowing down on carp. I am thoroughly grateful for my deep hatred of fish.

Reactions: JOHN72

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I heard carp is popular in China. In Korea, very few people will eat carp. Never heard of Americans eating carp. I think it's the bad reputation of being a trash fish that eats the bottom scraps. But, I'm sure when cooked properly, with good season and a good sauce, it will be very edible. I mean, lobsters, shrimps and other shellfish are in fact bottom feeders.

This post got me thinking. I always knew Carp is not considered a delicacy in USA, but consumed a lot / part of the culture in Asia.

I think the Carps in the two continents are different species. In India we used to get multiple species of Carp - The best came from the personal stocked lakes of people who had property in villages or from small stock of farmers.

The cheapest and the least palatable was named “American Carp”.

Further research into Wikipedia confirmed this suspicion.

A traditional marriage in our culture would not be complete without the brides and grooms family gifting each other Carps on the day of the wedding. My uncle got the largest catch of the day as size of the fish denotes prestige

I remember there was a photo of the fish, but could only find this one. The hands are of various aunts and cousins.

03580028.jpeg

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
My favorite carp recipe is as follows.

1. De-scale the carp using a de-scaling tool.
2. Fillet the carp out on both sides
3. Dredge in egg
4. Dredge in flour and seasoning
5. Heat oil to 400d F
6. Throw carp fillets in trash
7. Fry catfish fillets in heated oil instead.

Reactions: ssjones and JOHN72