Anyone Have Any Thoughts on Cooking Carp Steaks?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
My own silly fault. I purchase a couple of Carp Steaks and outside of putting them on the BBQ realized I am devoid of ideas of what to do with these in regards to prep and cooking. Any thoughts people?

Reactions: JOHN72
I would write this with the disclaimer that I really don’t like fish, but Carp is extremely popular in India and there are a plethora of recipes

Most recipes are like this

2. Rub with Turmeric and Salt
3. Fry
3. Simmer in gravy for 5-10 mins

popular choices of gravy

1. Pungent and spicy - Mustard and Birds Eye Chili Pepper (I like the gravy so much I will eat it without eating the fish)

2. Yogurt and Turmeric based gravy - I don’t remember the recipe

3. Soupy fish and vegetable broth

4. Any Indian gravy recipe also works

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Unless it's fish and chips, I usually like to keep fish light.

Usually, salt and pepper, olive oil and a splash of lemon juice (maybe an herb like thyme). If a sauce is needed, simply blistering tomatoes (by roasting them drizzled with olive oil), or a light pesto/romanesco sauce.

Asian flavors go well with fish too. A light sauce or glaze with soy sauce, sprinkle of brown sugar, sesame oil and maybe a splash of rice or sesame vinegar for balance should get you where you need to go.

Another great way to keep it light is dust with flour, dip in a batter made of eggs with some fresh parsley, and saute (flip when slightly brown on the edges). Spritz with lemon juice.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Like Sable, I wonder are you asking how to prepare a low quality cut of steak or did you actually buy piece of carp (fish)?

if the former, tenderize with a mallet, also alcohol will break down the protein so you could make a tequila marinade or something

slow and low is the way to cook it the alleviate toughness

As for carp, I’ve got nothing

Reactions: condorlover1

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
when I get a cut or type of meat that I haven't cooked with before. I just look up recipes online. Figure which gives you a good idea of what kind of parameters you need to use. Is it a flash cooked high temp low time, or slow long time in lower temps.... You can get some idea how to flavor it. Usually after reading a few you should be able to figure out something close to your tastes and at least make something edible.
From reading it pretty basic and as far as seasoning and flavor the one consistent thing is covering up the flavor with strong sauces and spices.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
It is a piece of fish - I very rarely ever eat meat! I think I will try @cshubhra approach as this sounds really good and very tasty. I love anything spicy!
I think eating carp is an Asian thing, culturally. Growing up around fishing men, this was never a sought after fish among us white Appalachian types. Good luck with the recipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Skip the carp. I'm living in an Indian food desert here, and just reading cshubhra's post makes me hungry.

The damned virus closed all the Indian lunch buffets here, which is one of my favorite ways to eat Indian food.

Someone gifted me with an Indian cookbook long ago, and every recipe had about 35 ingredients, not all of them readily available. Trust the experts here.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Aug 1, 2012
Eastern/Northern Europeans love carp too. It's more in the preparation and spices. Try pickling some...not a bad taste if I remember correctly.

Reactions: crashthegrey