PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
You kids and and your fancy-pants new fangled gizmos. Why, back in MY day, we had to buy sheet music... and play an instrument if we wanted to hear music. Now get offa my lawn! *shakes fist* :wink:

Dec 24, 2012
I have heard it said that vinyl eventually degrades with playing and that the sound quality therefore deteriorates. Thoughts?

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Joining very late to this discussion:
The miracle to me is not that a diamond needle can 'scratch' out the sound pre-recorded; it is that incredible audio can be digitized and recreated using NUMBERS!
Unbelievable.
I have an excellent collection of the New York Philharmonic with Leonard Bernstein conducting all of the Mahler symphonies, Rimsky - Korsakov, Beethoven, etc etc. These were obtained when vinyl was the only option.
I would play these over and over again, and of course, the sound deteriorated and the scratches, despite all of the cleaning methods available at the time, became worse.
Hoping not to sound too prejudicial, guys, we are not talking rock music here. We are talking subtleties of nuance of which, IMHO, are not and cannot be maintained in vinyl.
Cd's and their new counterparts can be played forever without any degradation whatsoever.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I’m no audiophile, and like most people these days I’ve been listening to only digital music for a long time now, but there is a school of thought that only analog is a true recording. Digital is, as Allan said, a "recreation", or a facsimile...and though it sounds very good, there is sometimes a sense of artificiality to it, or of being too “clean”, as Andrew said.
I remember back near the beginning of the digital era, Neil Young making a statement to the effect of: one day people are going to realize that music recorded digitally was never really recorded at all.

Dec 24, 2012
This is precisely why all audiophiles who use digital music should invest in a high quality DAC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-to-analog_converter

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Another cool thing is an old Victrola that plays 78 speed LP's. I do not have it anymore as I sold it prior to moving in 2009. It is cool to hear the sound from the early 1900's.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Hobie
These aren't turntables, these are works of mechanical art. I love these pics. The machinery is just beautiful.
Clearly, there must be a real market out there for vinyophiles.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I'm one of those who only care about lifelike, the musicians are in the room with you reproduction, and don't care what medium is used. I just know I will have to listen to LP's, as the music I listen to will never be released on digital servers.
The other part is the LP cover with all the information on it, I like to look at them in all their full size glory.

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
Alright, here's my humble stereo system for the quite small listening room I have as my cave:
Basis 1400 Turntable

photo%202-L.jpg

photo%201-L.jpg

Rogue Audio Ares Vacuum Tube Phono Stage and my older Adcom CD player (which gets almost zero use)

photo%203-L.jpg

Magnum Dynalab MD-90 Tuner & McIntosh MA6500 Integrated Amp

photo%201-L.jpg

photo-L.jpg

Joseph Audio RM7XL

photo%201-L.jpg

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
Another cool thing is an old Victrola that plays 78 speed LP's. I do not have it anymore as I sold it prior to moving in 2009. It is cool to hear the sound from the early 1900's.
flmason, I've got one of those too! I enjoy spinning it from time to time, although I don't have very many 78's to spin on it yet. We live in an old Craftsman house, and it belongs in it, if you know what I mean. It was originally sold way back when from a Pasadena Victrola music store, and still has the decal in good condition from the store!
IMG_0241-L.jpg

IMG_0245-L.jpg

IMG_0247-L.jpg

photo-L.jpg

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Houndstooth.....I stand in AWE of your Mac integrated amp, looks like a very nice system, you just need a Stereo Integrity 24" subwoofer for the bottom end :mrgreen: Oh, I missed what cartridge you are using?

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
It's a Benz Micro Glider on a Rega RB-300 Tonearm. I love the Micro Glider, but the tonearm is what I could afford at the time. Someday I would like to upgrade to a better tonearm, but at that point, who knows, maybe I'll just go for a whole new turntable.
The Mac is a great all around solid state integrated amp, but I'd love to have a tube Mac amp someday. In the mean time, I am not complaining, though, as this McIntosh is the first good amp I have owned.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
You do need a subwoofer to hear all the bass in those LP 's. this is the 8 foot long subwoofer I built using 4 of the Obsidian Audio 18" drivers my son designs and builds( they have over 3 1/2 inches of capable travel)

I used a walnut butcher block top for the basis of the overall design, with a one piece grill, and black mirrored plexiglas sides

I currently have a 3K watt amp on the 4 woofers but am getting ready to order a 6K watt amp as my current model runs out of steam for the "BIG" stuff

Dec 24, 2012
Houdstooth - that McIntosh amp is incredible. I've looked at their stuff before and drooled over many of their components, but it is mucha moola. Hard (for me anyway) to justify spending that kind of coin.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
So do you guys do any treatments to your rooms, or have any tips? My "home studio" is really just a spare bedroom that was not designed for audio purposes. (Obviously) I don't have a fancy stereo playback system in the room (just my old stereo and turntable), as I spend my dough primarily on the recording side of things. I've built some DIY treatments to deaden the room somewhat, but I generally mix on headphones then check the mixes on my studio monitors, then car stereo, home stereo, etc...
I hope this isn't a thread hijack, here's a pic of me holding up some vinyl just in case...

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
Hobie, that subwoofer setup looks amazing... I can only imagine how great it must sound with your system! Beautiful job on the cabinetry! Maybe someday. I will have to give it some thought.
Peck, McIntosh makes some pretty nice kit, that's for sure. They're not the most trendy stuff, but rather good, solid, performance based equipment designed to outlast the fads du jour.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Hobie
The rafters must rock!
Yep, it is quite pleasing, and the woofers only move about 3/4" of stroke since they share the signal load . There is no way I can envision making them move their 3 1/2" of total excursion. 8O
It is a shame you guys can't get a demo of it. Anyone near me in NC is welcome to stop by and listen to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.