PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I found the original thread, but all my pictures through Photobucket are not showing up. :evil:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/anyone-else-collect-andor-listen-to-vinyl-records

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
bummer, I'll guess I can repost up some of the pictures again;
This is the Micro Seiki model turntable I have:

Yamamoto Churchill

Teres 255

Gabriel

Clearaudio Master Reference

Oracle Delphi, my previous turntable

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I finally gave mine up but played it for years. I figured since I paid for the music twice between between albums and cds it should not be wrong to down load them off you tube. Have all of my old songs on my phone, six milk crates full and take them with me along with my head phones where ever I go.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
My mother in Law got me one of those retro ones last Christmas, and ever since I have been picking lp's up here and there for bands I like. Foound a Badfinger album the other day. Hearing those crackes and pops takes me back to when I was a kid.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Geez, Hobie! If these gorgeous photos were in a coffee table book, I'd buy it! Thanks!!

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Wooo-hooo all this LP typing got me fired up to finish a project. I just moved my Kenwood table to the theater system. The wife's pup hates it :rofl:
Hobie, you will appreciate this resto job. My friend got most of it in pieces, and had to find the rest, then put it back together. It's a GATES 16" transcription table.
388_img_0951_2_.jpg

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
Wow awesome pics. I used to be into vinyl and still have most of my records although my turntable is out of commission. I think pipe smokers and vinyls afficianados are cut from the same cloth.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Wow awesome pics. I used to be into vinyl and still have most of my records although my turntable is out of commission. I think pipe smokers and vinyls afficianados are cut from the same cloth.
Get that puppy back into working order, maybe it just needs a new belt, and you can get a new cartridge fairy cheap too as there are plenty out there to choose from.
Lots of people back in the vinyl days were pipe smokers.

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
Wow, this thread has taken off... so sorry to be absent for a spell. I worked some long hours this past week. I'll post a couple of pics of my turntable and stereo tomorrow.
I agree, trucha, I think you are right about pipe smokers and vinyl aficionados. It's a perfect match!

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
houndstooth, glad to see you back, did you check out all the pics?
If you want source of high quality vinyl releases go to:
http://www.musicdirect.com/
http://store.acousticsounds.com/
They both have tons of 180 gram vinyl and direct to disc, Mobile Fidelity, etc, audiophile releases on vinyl and SACD, DVD-A, etc.

Dec 24, 2012
I love talking audio. I can't say I'm a vinyl guy, though I have thought about getting into it. I have already spent about $30k on my living room system and I can't imagine starting to lay out more cash for a good turntable and vinyl. I have a dedicated mac for my system. All my music consists of FLAC or AIFF files stored on a stand alone 12 TB tower hard drive system. My Mac controls the music through Amarra ( http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/amarra_player ), a music program, and sends it through a DAC into my Moon Sim Audio system ( http://www.simaudio.com/# ) . I use Adagio speakers ( http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/acoustic-zen/adagio/prd_448449_1594crx.aspx )
So tell me, why do you guys like vinyl so much?

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I think one of the most fascinating things in the world is having a sharp diamond needle dragging across the groove of a trough of a slab of vinyl and being able to transfer the micro cuts in the side walls in to an audio signal, especially at very realistic sound quality levels. The process is mind boggling in its sonic accuracy, especially on a Reference system. I will always listen to records because most of the 1400 or so LP's I have will never be released on CD, there is just no market for it.
Let's also post up pics of our speakers we use.

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
hobie1dog, I did see those pics! Pure, gorgeous works of art! I have a simple Basis turntable that's about 15 years old now, but it has served me well. I will try to post some pics tomorrow afternoon.
Peck, you have a far more sophisticated system than I do. Mine is really pretty old school. I like vinyl because I just like the process of playing the LP's, and I also think that many of the LP's I have appear to have a greater stereo soundstage than the CD versions I have of the same albums. I have done A/B comparisons in my system with the two different sources of the same album, an LP and a CD. The source for the vinyl was my above mentioned Basis turntable, and the CD source was an Adcom CD player. All other elements of the system were the same, and I cued up the two albums. In many instances the CD version sounded like it was a compressed small soundstage as if the source was a little boom box between my two loudspeakers, while the LP sounded like a fully expanded stereo soundstage with clearly delineated instruments and vocals that you could point to where the individual musicians were.
The difference can be startling. I realize that newer mastered CD's and other audio file platforms are much more comparable to the original LP's, and in some cases, I'm sure there are improvements, but I really enjoy my "primitive" vinyl playback experience.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
The snap crackle pop indubitably, plus there's just a sound that fits so well into classic rock, classical jazz, etc.. CD's have too much of a "clean" sound for me for classic rock etc... I wouldn't go out and spend an extreme amount of money on a turntable, like 500$ at the most, and even then you can just find a second hand one for 40$ and frankly I think you're getting into a ridiculous way of thinking when your spending 5000$ on a record player. I really can't tell the difference in sound between my 500$ technique 1200 that was created especially for radio broadcasting and a decent 40$ oldschool sony you'd find at a garage sale, it more comes down to the needle and cartridge you're using imo.

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
andrew, I think there are differences that you could detect in certain rooms and with certain systems. detached motors, better tonearms, bigger mass platters and plinths all really do make a difference in addition to cartridges and needles. For one thing, the velvety black silent sections of recordings is noticeably improved by all the things mentioned above.
My own turntable cost me something like $1400.00 when I bought it new some 15 years ago, and it's on the low end of the spectrum when it comes to TT's. That's not to say that it isn't good, as I think it's great. I have never regretted spending the money on it though, and it has outlived a set of loudspeakers and two amplifiers in my stereo system.
And, of course, it's like many expenses in life... a Chevy Volt will get you there just as practically as a Tesla Type S, but they will offer different driving experiences, and I would argue different levels of enjoyment.
Having said that, while I would love to have a Tesla Type S, I own a Volt. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.