PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe another take on the thread would be "any bad English pipes?" There are probably a few turkeys, although this may be more individual pipes and maybe certain times in the history of brands. Most of the English brands maintain an acceptable level of quality if not better, or far better. English estate pipes seem to retain high resale value.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Hi, The sad fact is that the best Root Briar Wood has gone...mostly in the past from Algeria IE Barling family pipe's pre 1950 were made from this.

Best Wishes
Thank goodness the stem is the pipe, or the most important part so the wood isn't very important. :nana:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Paul, which model did you go for? Pictures would be great :wink:
Since Drennan posted the link above I have bought four Blakemar pipes...excellent value for money methinks.
Regards,
Jay.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Jay, its a Blakemar De Lux 453 Sraight squat bulldog, theres still one left but with saddle steam, as far for the picts it may be too complicated for my skills to post, you may wanna google the model out?

have a great winter weekend there in Britain, Paul

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi Paul, yes I am familiar with your pipe. Alas I personally prefer bent pipes and the only bent Bulldog/Rhodesian that Mike stocks is in the cheaper 'Aristocrat' range, of which I now have two along with two other shapes!
Blakemar are by far better than comparatively priced Peterson's in my book. All drilling is perfectly inline, the vulcanite stems are a perfect fit plus there is no stain in the bowl. What is there not to like?
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.