PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
@mso489, is this the style of hardcastle to which you refer sir? If so your in luck. I bought mine for £30. For you living in the states no VAT! So even with the cost of postage, $40 or less.

Lovely pipes, very cool smoke even with the narrow walls of the bowl & craggy blast.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
John, of course Paul Kruger is a much hated figure in history but to deny a pipe named after him is surely missing the point?
My only point on that was: Why call a Hungarian shape something else, particularly after a rotten s.o.b.? If someone had a lovely pipe up for sale under the name of the old S.A. ass, I'd buy it and call it by its better name.
And no one to date has come up with a photo of Kruger smoking that shape! Who in hell started that trend, and why? Couldn't spell "Hungarian"?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Who in hell started that trend, and why?"
Not a clue John but I would love to know.
"Couldn't spell "Hungarian"?"
Possibly one of your countrymen? :wink:
Regards,
Jay.
Edit: Just found this...
http://www.bafokengarchives.com/records/image/188

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Alright, Jay. What's got the burr under your saddle with the Yankee bashing? It's starting to become not so good-natured.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I had an epiphany while watching "Fiddler on the Roof". Motel had just purchased a new sewing machine, and was thrilled that now, all of his clothes would be perfectly stitched, no more hand made articles! That was a source of pride for him. Well, Dunhill once extolled one of the virtues of their pipes, that each shape was perfect, every single time. Being machine made was a source of pride, and that every Dunhill billiard was exactly like the last.

The hand made concept that we view as special in these modern times is due to the excellent craftsmanship that many of the artisan pipe makers put into their work. Yet many of us have machine made pipes that smoke excellently. The value for the smoker of Dunhills, I imagine, was having the perfect classic shape, made with quality briar.

I don't think that Dunhills are necessarily worth the prices they demand, but each of us has to make his own judgement in that regard. And just like we know that Peterson turns their bowls in Spain, and we don't know, really, where anybody sources their briar, does it really matter where the pipe "originated". My Duhill shell is supposed to be made from Algerian briar. Does that make it African? Are my Petes Spanish? I have a FeRo bent Dublin that is a perfectly English styled size and shape of a classic English pipe. And Stanwells are now made in Italy. I bet even Tsuge is sourcing their bowls, if not entire pipes, from the same Italian factory, for their low to mid range lines.

Doesn't really matter. If you like the way it looks, and it smokes well, doesn't matter where it comes from. The other option is to go with an estate pipe.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Being a fan, I just had to chime in that Falcon pipes are made in the U.K. [:mrgreen:]
Now I can't work out if that's sarcasm or not.
Regardless, a falcon with a dublin bowl loaded with a virginia blend is smoking perfection.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Me Fe.Ro along side a Charatan Chubby Pot:

0DABBD1E-A96C-431E-B846-AB87DA725C33_zpsi5rvr3lu.jpg
[/URL

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Simon that's a little cracker for little cash. I think I'll be looking out for Hardcastle, I had not heard of them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Re: The Hungarian designation. What the hell is this? (photo linked in Jay's post above)
pho000000tmc002.jpg

Looks like something to deliver an enema! And even if someone can attest it's a Hungarian shape, and that P Kruger ever owned it, no photo of him smoking one has surfaced.
So, again, out with Oom Paul, in with Hungarian. Not being PC (Kruger was a racist), just like the best terms for our passion. And, well the "Uncle Paul" is too cute and cuddly for the s.o.b. Kruger was.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Alright, Jay. What's got the burr under your saddle with the Yankee bashing?"
Aldecaker, not Yankee bashing at all, just jovial banter. I take much more than I give believe me!
Happy new year to you all,
Regards,
Jay.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
JP Said:

And no one to date has come up with a photo of Kruger smoking that shape! Who in hell started that trend, and why?
No photo's but here are some older images of Pipe&Paul, the first of which is probably the most authoritative.
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/paul-kruger-wih-hat-and-pipe-south-african-coin-defaced-by-news-photo/144854664?#paul-kruger-wih-hat-and-pipe-south-african-coin-defaced-by-angloboer-picture-id144854664
http://what-when-how.com/western-colonialism/kruger-paul-western-colonialism/
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.twaksak.co.za%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F06%2FPaulKruger.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.twaksak.co.za%2Foom-paul-pipe-shape%2F&docid=2QfkVAgk-GLMFM&tbnid=h_FDqNGDXFlIgM%3A&vet=1&w=450&h=600&bih=711&biw=1280&q=%22paul%20krueger%22%20pipe%20boer&ved=0ahUKEwjbmNK0haHRAhXMxYMKHVyZAaMQMwg9KBcwFw&iact=mrc&uact=8
Dunhills made in Italy? Really? Anyone have a source for this?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks. While it doesn't prove my point, it bolsters it. And the image quoted by the SA historian supporting calling it by the name of his former leader is of a statue, photo posted below. Now, really, that does not look like it has much bend at all. So, not a Hungarian or an "Oom Paul".
PaulKruger.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Does it really matter John? Does it keep you awake of a night?
Oom Paul/Hungarian are well known and accepted synonyms of that particular shape and style of pipe...end of story :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"All in good time."
Right on John, no rush but we all need enlightenment :puffy:
"Now, really, that does not look like it has much bend at all. So, not a Hungarian or an "Oom Paul"."
Nor does it look like Paul Kruger...it's a stylized version of both pipe and man.
Regards,
Jay.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Now I can't work out if that's sarcasm or not.

Dead serious. However ...

Regardless, a falcon with a dublin bowl loaded with a virginia blend is smoking perfection.

This was the real reason I felt compelled to respond. Though I smoked cigars all New Year's Eve, I had this in my coat pocket, just in case ...

falconpipe12017-600x450.jpg

In other words, you and I are in agreement. :wink:
EDIT: Sorry for the lousy picture.

sidb3

Lurker
Jun 17, 2015
Hi, The sad fact is that the best Root Briar Wood has gone...mostly in the past from Algeria IE Barling family pipe's pre 1950 were made from this.

Best Wishes,

Status
Not open for further replies.