Alright, Serious Question of The Day: Do You Toast Your Bagel, Or Not?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Accessories
3 Fresh Sam Adebayo Pipes
6 Fresh Radice Pipes
2 Fresh Jody Davis Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Looks very good!

jEcWDZarVTXtI7vgFZ6xd5s0SxKbHd8xn2z-3Xlg6CpMybZzfwPtzqsK2aWXTxTfNKRXV5yDJn5yrZ8tLcPWnOcooCm8uF2beJzA6DYhjdYJsMP-Or3G4l_nXQr317a5ij_queT-GXupXxvNsv5_T6p8vLYOMT6azF3ttAm7o5S0py_gB3VPbEWvVHcK0cx0_mNnZ74HxKPlBdDYRfVYFrU_HrwjSukffPUscKuLvoCR3RCeeOMH1QRU03lsB66PDJzsDi61m8kFkXiAPjpp0e2FC3zorv8p9FxPxpCbgHU84Tiqaoej0xxDe9aFqbJ9N3b21-IWh7RR8DeRfqIfmEUADtR9ewJbeaNtN0BaDaWSGdtLHXqqQ4ZmeTtYkyVuS_S3fMUBZXc76yipbuiisV9SL48WznTq5qKm3I04HgZlyQPaBT8_GvQv_7F0P5OcLBfX2E8ZaRT5orIg0jgufGYxnggcz_c2eR6_FWqklyR5rrDQoxIPh_a8X8P4c9jDtxFw9EikuRQkft5iUy2j_ErUoNVfFLUOqgWBu0h-mrCrNYoJGoPsWjT3EmwnRtLvP0dQDsFm7LvQECPUXCAcL-XL8iN_CHkWJApnPdNP85VIBGEwigRJSTWgekZxwUvQuqutU9KC10iqmQz1bv9thWy05o8T1Ql32AXWdrsh1M7rPe_L-SGlQeD4ihmrcty-6xuwwzIKhL4SZjVQ=s1080-no

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you follow your link into the page, get the full photo's URL, and paste that into the IMG tag, the image becomes embedded, so to speak, and no one has to click links to see the picture.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
56 locations, all in California. Love to have Jesse's take on this.
Hi John,
I mentioned Noah's in my earlier post. They're one of the worst makers of bagels since the destruction of the Second Temple. They're the McDonalds of the bagel world. Any resemblance between Noah's product and a genuine bagel is ironic. They do unto bagels what the Danes do unto classic British blends. Flaming snot or the glandular excretions of a baboon's butt would likely taste better than a Noah's bagel.
That enough of a take?
I haven't had a really good bagel in a long while, not because they're unavailable in La La Land, but because I don't have the time to drive to a decent Jewish bakery, so what bagels I do get are the bagels that Warner Bros picks up weekly from Western Bagels. Serviceable, but thoroughly mediocre.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I generally toast my bagels. Up here in the NW I find it near impossible to get my favorite bagel: Pumpernickel. I haven't had one in years.
Sadness.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
If they aren’t hot out of the oven, then they must be toasted if you want the authentic flavor/texture experience. My father used to spritz them withwater, then reheat in the oven. That’s even better.
And Gerry? Those bagels look damned yummy.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Gotta be toasted brotha. And a lot of that creamy cheese. Mmmm Although I have never tried the hot water rinse first.

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
I only eat bagels that were baked the same day 99% of the time (lots of places here in South Florida) so definitely untoasted, the other 1% of the time I toast it and let it come to room temperature before putting on a healthy schmear... not a fan of hot melted cream cheese.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
To toast or not to toast, almost as important a question as what to put between the halves. So for me it depends on a number of variables however my default is toasted poppy w cc. If butter on the go then no toast.

One of my favs: cracked peppercorn Turkey, egg whites and Swiss (or pepper jack if I'm feeling frisky) on an egg everything, toasted or not depending on time of day, year, and wind direction...

Cinnamon raisin always toasted w butter or walnut raisin cc when available.

Now what about flagels and squagles?

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Biscuits and gravy, here.
Bagels (toasted or not) and gravy is kinda like socks on a rooster.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I might be the odd man out here but this is how I do it:
Step 1: Leave the bagels on the counter for other people.
Step 2: Get an English muffin.
Step 3: Toast that bad boy until slightly crispy and golden brown.
Step 4: Overload said muffin with pure unsalted sweet cream butter! (You may use salted in a pinch.)
Step 5: Allow butter to both saturate and puddle up in the nooks and crannies of the muffin.
Step 6: Try not to let your eyes roll back in your head as you enjoy the toasted buttery greatness.
***Optionally, you made add a high quality jam or marmalade (no jelly please) to the muffin and butter if you think you can handle it. I prefer strawberry.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I love English muffins, and crumpets. Scones ok, but a distant third. Blackberry or raspberry jam here. And I insist on salted butter. Bigger taste.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Bagels and English Muffins are two different animals. Love ‘em both, for different reasons.

I would never put lox or whitefish salad on an English Muffin. Nor would I put jam on a bagel. But marmalade and butter on a well-toasted EM is a wonderous item.

Status
Not open for further replies.