Alright, Serious Question of The Day: Do You Toast Your Bagel, Or Not?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I toast everything, and even the best bagel gets that treatment. Cream cheese right from the fridge gets slightly warmed by the hot bagel, and does not run.

When I worked on Wall Street, a toasted bialy was my go-to, some times with butter, sometimes cream cheese. Otherwise, a toasted onion bagel, cream cheese and lox was a special treat.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We have tote bags from Zabar's, and jpm's memories of his Wall Street bagels make me yearn for the real thing. Mostly outside NY/NJ, the bagel is just a different item, and much less delectable.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
If it's a fresh bagel from a bagel shop and I'm on the run (driving while I eat it)...not toasted and I eat it plain like a donut. If I'm going to relax and sit down and eat it...toasted with cream cheese.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I buy fresh bagels from the bagel shop, I eat them not toasted the first day. Second day and after they get toasted.
My favorite way to eat a bagel is with cream cheese and smoked Sable on top. My second favorite is with cream cheese, sweet or red onion, tomato and smoked Salmon on top.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
smoked Sable on top
Typo or intentional? Ha.
My kids eat the store bought bagels un-toasted with cream cheese, but I toast them, cream cheese, fried egg, and bacon between. Best is an “Everything” bagel.
But I did have a bagel in NY once. I ate it however they handed it to me and it was really good (I’m from Texas).

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I once had a gf who had a connection in NYC that sent her frozen half cooked bagels. Then she’d toast them whole and it was as if they just came out of the oven. Delicious with cream cheese. Good lord I miss those bagels.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Toasted if I'm not rushing out the door. Since I'm in East Tennessee, I don't get anything close to a traditional bagel, and not a Jewish deli until Nashville.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Non-toasted, lots of cream cheese.
Side note: It's hard to find a good bagel in New Orleans, Stein's being the only place that has them as far as I know. I solved the problem by making them myself. They turned out pretty good, link to pic if you're interested:
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMz66tF64dQzhue4Jl_zAYhvo5HVYG5JWEdP0Wx

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
In California, (maybe all over the US), we have Noah's bagels, and they are a marketing juggernaut. Every thing is cutesy and heaped with pretension. Lots of words that appear to be Yiddish, but which I think many are made up. Anyway, their bagels are not boiled, and are mediocre. YMMV. Anyone else tried their stuff?
Edit- 56 locations, all in California. Love to have Jesse's take on this.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Non-toasted, lots of cream cheese.
Side note: It's hard to find a good bagel in New Orleans, Stein's being the only place that has them as far as I know. I solved the problem by making them myself. They turned out pretty good, link to pic if you're interested:
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMz66tF64dQzhue4Jl_zAYhvo5HVYG5JWEdP0Wx
Link returns:
404. That’s an error.
The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.
Do you boil before baking? :)

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Huh. Works on my end, I'll figure it out. Otherwise, Spoiler Alert: it's 8 everything bagels on a wire rack.
Yes, you have to boil them or else it's just round bread with a hole. :) I added some dry malt extract to the boil that I had handy for brewing purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.