PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I thought Solani "White and Black" was good but not very good; but certainly unique. I'd buy it again. But "633," "Aged BurleyFlake" and "Silver Flake" I found excellent and well worth Solani's higher cost, paid for by the quality of the smoke. Writing this I start thinking about getting more of all the above, the Solani urge reordering the half-dozen other tobaccos vying for the same honor, as well as a hauntingly beautiful Perla Nerla billiard estate on smokingpipes.
Down boy! (TAD and PAD)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am a big fan of R.Will. I have cellared both 633 and Silver Flake big time. I tried smoking ABF but found it really weird tasting. I also tried Wessex Burley Slices and didn't care for that either. I do like a number of Vaburs, just not straight Burley.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good review. I'm a devoted burley smoker, so this appeals to me right away. I'm intrigued by the blending of burleys from widespread geographies to get some complexity. I think that is done with various blends but not spelled out, for proprietary reasons, but it adds to the interest of the blend to me. The flake cut definitely increases the intrigue and also retains the flavor better. Most of all maybe, I'm intrigued by the promotion of the properties of aged burley. Usually Virginias are given the most credit for improving by aging. Burleys are given credit for lasting well and only occasionally for actually improving with aging. So you've delved into some good subjects here, off the beaten path. I'll look for the blend and see who has it in stock. I tend to go for full-strength blends, but lately have ventured into some milder blends, for their own good characteristics, and to keep the strong blends exciting when I get back to them. If you haven't tried the Tabac-Manil Semois single leaf thick and medium cuts, you might also enjoy them, a burley variant from Belgium. Cornell & Diehl does innovative things with burley in blends as well.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
Wish the internet shops would get some stock in. I have been out of ABF over 8 months now. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.