PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
This is an extreme move I wouldn’t recommend on a nicer pipe, but I had a pipe from my step dads grandad given to me from around 1930s or 40s that had bad rim char and cuts, so I torched the whole thing and sealed it with oil. Then wrapped in a little silver wire I had left over.

For a nicer pipe I’d sand and seal…IMG_1347.jpeg

Reactions: orlandofurioso

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Your pipe doesn’t look bad, I’d leave it, or a little oil, You could sand just the flat top and stain for a new look, but that’s decent work, probably not worth it if you don’t have the tools on hand.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Any mineral oil works. Jojoba oil does a great job, so does paraffin - . My all time favourite though is recorder oil.
Even Balistol works fine. What matters is that it does not go rancid, as does for example olive oil.
Some hold a different opnion; this is what works for me.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Should it be food grade mineral oil?
That would be preferred or butcher block oil (same); some people just use olive oil if they don't have the other. Some simple wax will do too. Some use chapstick or burts bees if they don't have others. Whatever you have at hand ... its your pipe ! Or just clean it and wait until you get something like Renaissance wax. In the future a little black coffee on a piece of paper towel will remove most rim tars and char fairly quickly don't rub hard just wipe. I clean the rims periodically with black coffee then run a wax rag (a rag I've used for waxing) over them. One member just uses a silver polish cloth for a wipe down. Hope that helps.