PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
If you love PX you should try some Australian muscats and tokays (now relabelled topaque or muscadelle).
Especially from Rutherglen.

These are (to my palate) the icons of Australian wine.
Not the overhyped Grange or even Hill of Grace
I will look next time I go to the wine shop. Which should be soon. Thanks!

Another sweet Spanish wine I enjoy from time to time is Malaga.

Reactions: OzPiper

pinem

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2015
Nebraska
PXs are the most approachable for neophytes. Another fortified wine that parallels Sherry is Madeira. I generally prefer it if I'm buying the cheaper bottles. It also stores really well once opened, unlike Fino and Manzanillo that should be used up within a day or two. Madiera was also the most quaffed beverage during the drafting of the US Declaration of Independence...or was it the Constitution? Hmm, maybe both.

Correction:

Last edited:

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
PXs are the most approachable for neophytes. Another fortified wine that parallels Sherry is Madeira. I generally prefer it if I'm buying the cheaper bottles. It also stores really well once opened, unlike Fino and Manzanillo that should be used up within a day or two. Madiera was also the most quaffed beverage during the drafting of the US Declaration of Independence...or was it the Constitution? Hmm, maybe both.

Correction:
It was apparently once THE drink in Savannah. I once went to a Madeira tasting at the Davenport House there. I remember being really surprised at the range of madeiras.

Reactions: OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

Correction:
Ah - the good old days before drink-drive laws 😁