PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Never had sherry before; how's it taste?
Most people think of sherry as Aunt Mabel's pre-dinner tipple. And sweet.

There are many styles of sherry - mostly dry(very):

# Fino and it's counterpart, manzanilla (from the seaside town of Sanlucar de Barrameda) are light, (bone-)dry, refreshing. They age under a layer of yeast (flor) which gives them their "sherry character"
Excellent with oysters, anchovies, olives,

# Amontillados are aged finos and Manzanillas that have more developed characteristics
Great with seafood dishes, jamon, antipasti, fowl/birds

# Olorosos result when the protective layer of flor does not develop. These are "weight-ier" wines than finos with more pronounced aromas (hence the name).
Goes well with meat, stews, duck
Oloroso butts are much prized for use in ageing whisky

# Palo cortados start out life as finos, but the layer of flor dies off after a time. These are "in-between" wines with characteristics of both finos and olorosos.

# Pedro ximenez (PX) - extremely sweet and luscious. Can be enjoyed on it's own. A fresher, lighter one is yummmm with crema catalana.
Used mainly as blending material to sweeten dry sherry giving the much-maligned "milk" ("as sweet as mother's milk") or "cream" ("better than milk, so we'll call it cream !) styles

A wine for all occasions

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia
Most people think of sherry as Aunt Mabel's pre-dinner tipple. And sweet.

There are many styles of sherry - mostly dry(very):

# Fino and it's counterpart, manzanilla (from the seaside town of Sanlucar de Barrameda) are light, (bone-)dry, refreshing. They age under a layer of yeast (flor) which gives them their "sherry character"
Excellent with oysters, anchovies, olives,

# Amontillados are aged finos and Manzanillas that have more developed characteristics
Great with seafood dishes, jamon, antipasti, fowl/birds

# Olorosos result when the protective layer of flor does not develop. These are "weight-ier" wines than finos with more pronounced aromas (hence the name).
Goes well with meat, stews, duck
Oloroso butts are much prized for use in ageing whisky

# Palo cortados start out life as finos, but the layer of flor dies off after a time. These are "in-between" wines with characteristics of both finos and olorosos.

# Pedro ximenez (PX) - extremely sweet and luscious. Can be enjoyed on it's own. A fresher, lighter one is yummmm with crema catalana.
Used mainly as blending material to sweeten dry sherry giving the much-maligned "milk" ("as sweet as mother's milk") or "cream" ("better than milk, so we'll call it cream !) styles

A wine for all occasions
Well that is a do it all drink. I might have to find some to try. I'm a corn forward rye bourbon guy so venturing out isn't very normal for me. The missus loves wine but I've never been able to stomach it.

Reactions: OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Good sherry is a thing of beauty. Aged is fantastic.

That being said, look for soleras for great quality/price ratio.
Aged bottles (>30 yr old VORS) may seem expensive at 1st glance

Most are incredibly complex drops, and a little go a long way

They are cheap when you compare prices for similarly rated 30year old
Bordeaux or Burgundies

I often say that a great old Sherry is one of the true bargains of the wine world

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Now that sounds like my kind of dinner!!! I will be visiting Jerez in October, drinking some manzanilla with green olives
I love grazing in tapas bars
Anchovies are polarising - some love it, others can't abide them
Me - I adore them
Fresh oysters, anchovies and fino/manzanilla are a match made in heaven

Enjoy Jerez

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I will have to hunt for some. Im near Spain so maybe next time Im there I will look. How similiar is Sherry to Banyuls? I know they are both fortified wines? Banyuls is typically red but can be white. Im not an expert at all but it seems like most the countries (at least in the south) have some version of forifited aged wines. Port, Sherry, banyuls, Murray, Moscato...They have differences between blends but to me Banyuls makes me think of Port. However, I have not tried them side by side.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
How similiar is Sherry to Banyuls? I know they are both fortified wines? Banyuls is typically red but can be white. Im not an expert at all but it seems like most the countries (at least in the south) have some version of forifited aged wines. Port, Sherry, banyuls, Murray, Moscato...They have differences between blends but to me Banyuls makes me think of Port. However, I have not tried them side by side.
Banyuls is sweet, fortified wine
Most sherry, on the other hand, are dry.
While there is sweet sherry, most of what I drink is dry.

I do like Banyuls. Older ones are particularly good with cheese.

Reactions: Sigmund

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Every night after dinner I read and smoke. I sip amontillado sherry all the while, tiny sips every few minutes, which for me goes really well with tobacco, clears the palate and enhances the next puffs. I buy the stuff by the case. Used to be Sandemann, but that is now unavailable where I live, so now it is Dry Sack by Williams Humbert, around $17/bottle more or less.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I love grazing in tapas bars
Anchovies are polarising - some love it, others can't abide them
Me - I adore them
Fresh oysters, anchovies and fino/manzanilla are a match made in heaven

Enjoy Jerez
When in Madrid, I go to this old sherry bar where they still prepare anchovies directly from the salt pack—cleaning them, rinsing them, putting them in really good olive oil… they’re out of this world . I usually have them with an oloroso.

• Love

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
@Sigmund: the closest thing you will find in France are Jura vins jaunes, as both finos and manzanillas are aged under a layer of veil/voil/flor. They have notes of almonds, soft nougat, olives, sometimes herbs, sometimes orange blossom, fermenting dough... They are bone-dry and often (particularly manzanillas) salty, with notes of seaweed and sea water. When they get so old that they lose their flor, they become amontillados, with stronger notes of nuts and dried fruits. Olorosos and palos cortados avoid the flor ageing totally (olorosos) or partially (pc), and they have stronger notes of dried fruit and have a fuller body.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Every night after dinner I read and smoke. I sip amontillado sherry all the while, tiny sips every few minutes, which for me goes really well with tobacco, clears the palate and enhances the next puffs. I buy the stuff by the case. Used to be Sandemann, but that is now unavailable where I live, so now it is Dry Sack by Williams Humbert, around $17/bottle more or less.
Dry Sack was the very first sherry I tried (I was in my very early teens).
I remember not really liking it then.
Sherry is so different to most wine that it can be “challenging” for most palates trying it for the first time.

Reactions: kcghost

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
This thread has me reminiscing…
The best Pedro ximenez I’ve ever had was in cordoba, decades ago. We went to the patio festival, spent all day looking at those beautiful patios in the old Jewish quarter, trailing geraniums spilling down everywhere, then went to this bar and had fried eggplant, salmorejo, olives.. pork loin. Then as a complimentary dessert, the waiter brought us glasses of Pedro ximenez, no idea what brand, but the stuff was heaven