PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Man, I wish I could wear a classy hat. My noggin is so large and mis-shaped that hats make me look like a pretentious idiot. Great pics, tho, and kudos to the classy guys who can pull off that look.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have almost as many hats as I have pipes, maybe as many. My favorites are the ones with a brim all around.

My wife got me a stellar Borsilino at J.J. Hats in Manhattan, but I have others. Unfortunately, for driving, with

the advent of the headrest, the brim all around doesn't work and bumps the headrest, so I have taken to more

often wearing driving caps of several kinds -- herring bone, checked, khaki canvas, black, etc. I have a lot of

ball caps -- White Sox, a cow manure cap, Subaru, Corona beer, etc. A lumberjack check ear flap hat, a Turkish

fez, a beret, and so on. The driving caps win because when I wear a hat I often drive. Also, they fold up and go

in an inside pocket and don't get lost. Hats go best when they don't look like they're being worn, or don't make

you aware that they are. They ought to look like they are part of a person's clothing and fit in pretty

seamlessly. I agree the "real man" b.s. ought to be irrelevant, at least on the hat subject. We have to work on

our humanity, and assume the gender bit will follow as appropriate.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
This is my favorite hat to wear right now.
an-iphone-album-010-448x600.jpg

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Man, I wish I could wear a classy hat. My noggin is so large and mis-shaped that hats make me look like a pretentious idiot. Great pics, tho, and kudos to the classy guys who can pull off that look.
I am right there with you Cynyr. I end up looking like a watermelon wearing a hat.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Knew a man at Plant that I worked at they him Keg Head Keller. Keller was his last name , in the 40s his mother took him to get a hat at a well known Men's shop called Bates & Thigpen in Baton Rouge La. Mom said to salesman I"d like to see a hat to fit my son, Salesman said I would too Lady.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
CF620332-0F87-4513-824C-470122771E43-18656-000026F922005A92_zpsdbfe5bdd.jpg
Told wife I wanted a John Deere Stocking cap. She went to Tractor Supply and they had a Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign.When she came home I asked where's my hat, she shook out that pink thing and said here, looked at it, said I ain't wearing that. What does the picture tell you?

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Ok, I have an all weather fedora from Duluth, baseball hats from every aviation company I come into contact with, a tweed cap when I feel "jaunty" (does that qualify for manly?) and my newest:

Now that's what I call manly!!!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Sable: There's a lot of angst and insecurity on this board. Way too much worry about perceptions and appearances. I suspect it has a lot to do with age. The older I get the less I worry about the minor stuff, vis-á-vis what others think of what I wear, smoke, drive, think, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.