A Gift For The Piper Who Has Everything?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@peck, I've already said I do not desire a "poofy" shoulder bag. But the pipe stand is an interesting idea, originating from pruss. There are a number of excellent craftsmen in Scotland, one of whom might be able to make me something like it. I do fancy one for my 'best looking' pipes.

Dec 24, 2012
If you get a magnetic stand, just be careful with it. Put the ball bearing in the pipe bowl far away from the stand and then gently place the pipe on the stand with your fingers acting as a buffer. The magnets are really powerful.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
How about this for a estate pipe "steal?"
http://www.twofriendspipes.com/estate-pipes.html
(The top entry.)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Flaky,
Something more permanent than a pallet of sod for the fire place I suspect. I burn a little now and then when I want a whiff if the old sod.
I suggest that you ask her to pen a page or two, reminiscing about the good and not so good times that you shared together over the years as you both learned to overlook each others short-comings as you magnified each others positives. Something that you can read now and then as you enjoy one of those rare smokes at the end of a day where most everything went wrong but, as the sun sets the note reminds you that life is actually much better than you deserve because of her being in it.
A bit mushy? Sure! A treasure for the mind? Definitely!

Aug 1, 2012
How about a selection of hard to find old tobaccos? She could always find some original (and I do mean original, not just the original recipe) tins full of 3 Nuns and some Balkan Sobranie Virginia No. 10. A full selection of original Scottish production Rattrays blends could do.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Some great suggestions here, but I think I should state how this topic originated. I originally thought I was too "pissed" (UK term for having consumed too much alcohol - not the US version of being extremely irate) at this point to remember the conversation, but it turns out it occurred during one of my frequent visits to the loo! So my OH has recounted the story to me, which went along the lines of the following:
Flaky to his OH - "Isn't that a beautiful pipe bag of Alan's?"

Flaky's OH - "What are you saying Chris, would you like one for Christmas?"

Flaky - "No, not at all..... but if you feel the need! I am just saying what a stunning pipe bag it is. That is what I call a pipe bag!"
At this point I must state that it was NOT a metrosexual over the shoulder bag, but a hand carry bag. But knowing Flaky's aversion to such things - my OH has been sitting at the sewing machine knocking together hand made pipe wraps from aged leather. Perfect for sticking in the poacher's pocket of "yer da's oul Barbour!"

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Alan, you wind-up wanker! It's going to be one of those poncey pipe wraps to go in the poacher's poakit of ma puir dead dad's "poofy" Barbour jaikit!! lol Ya Bass !! LOL

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Flakey, how about a nice smoking jacket. Or a tweed cap and a rustic walking stick for when you go lunting?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
dermotfahy, now that pipe is definitely a steal.
I second the idea of a smoking jacket. A man of Flakey's refinement and class should definitely not be without a silk jacket.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@plateauguy, I knew someone was going to suggest a smoking jacket. In fact that is just what I suggested to 'she who must be obeyed' this morning. I really fancied an old English silk and velvet job. She looked at me as if I had gone 'queer' and threatened to call my family practitioner to have me certified under the UK 'Mental Health Act' - she really meant it!
I meant it too - I really see myself in one of those - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was at my medical school - I freakin' deserve it!! LOL
Relations can best be described currently as 'cool, approaching frigid' LOL

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I meant it too - I really see myself in one of those - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was at my medical school
I see you more as a John McCririck:
realitytv_cbb_best_housemates_5.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Personal tastes in this vary a lot, but some people enjoy a smoking jacket for full immersion pipe smoking.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Okay, you guys, I'll put my OH on, and then you'll know your driver - she'll have your 'nads on the block and the cleaver hovering!! LOL

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Aye to the former, I am that man! But bollocks (no offence intended) to the latter. That dubious honour IMO goes to peck - soooooo cool!! LOL

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@papipeguy, I fuckin love Dame Edna, and all Barry's characters. But don't you think 'Sir Les' would be more one of us? Due to be banned at any minute?? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.