PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That was a great little read, Mason. I actually imagined a little imp sitting on your shoulder playing the part of Me Too! :rofl:

Nobody can really fault you for using cigarettes while driving because they're so convenient.

I don't know if this suggestion would be of any help, but maybe cigars might be a better alternative.
At any rate, I've read most of the OTR adventures you've posted, and I think your "take" on life is both unique and interesting.

Maybe you can start a blog about the things you've experienced behind the wheel.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I have to admit that I am something of an aspiring (if untalented) writer.

You've got some talent, hell everybody here loves following your updates. People like the way you tell your stories, there is a certain Mark Twain feel to your writing. Please keep it up even if its just us for an audience.
This almost needs to be a sticky because I think we all do it
Second that. Great way to frame the argument for cig smokers trying to kick the habit. Read it three times myself, made me laugh every time.
Well, I would say that all of the above is the natural state for any trucker who spends 70+ hours a week behind the wheel. LOL
Ha, you called that one. I would have enjoyed running the road with you when I was driving, but who knows, maybe we already have. Some of the most interesting folks I've ever met were just a voice coming across my Connex for a couple hours.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
i have been over 2 months without a cig and i still get the craving for a butt every now and then but i load up some high nic and it will pass you can do it and just think you butt money wont take long to add up for a nice pipe

i was smoking 3 packs a day at $3.50 now i buy on average 2 tins a week at $20 and get a pipe about every 3-4 weeks and i am still saving money if i could just kick my PAD i think i could finish my Merc Dime set
Great going on thee 2 months. The occasional craving for cig will probably last a long time. Sounds like you're on the right path.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
I need to quit the nails too, luckily for me the pipe smoker is stronger than the nail smoker, so I can buy as many pipes as I want.
I am just at the point I am tired of the butts but my occupation is making is hard to quit them so I decided it's got to be an either or situation.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
I had to read this again, just for the humor and because, as I'm waiting for the lady, I'm having PAD attack and found myself having almost the same conversation. This almost needs to be a sticky because I think we all do it...
But let's see how grumpy I get. The carton of cigs will be finished tomorrow and I am going to dry my damndest to not buy any. I found 3 blens I really like that seems to really satisfy my nic fits (Haddo's, Erinmore Flake and Jack Knife).
And because I am clumsy in the morning (and quite the grump), I'll have to some the DGT - this way just need to light the pipe in the AM.
Good luck. I have been looking around the B&M shops for some Erinmore but so far no luck. I did manage to pick up another tin of Irish Flake.
Hang in there, I am going to the same destination, just taking a different path. Today I picked up can of American Spirit and some rolling papers. Having to roll my own will take some of the convenience factor out of the cigs and make choosing a pipe instead a little easier.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
That was a great little read, Mason. I actually imagined a little imp sitting on your shoulder playing the part of Me Too!

Nobody can really fault you for using cigarettes while driving because they're so convenient.

I don't know if this suggestion would be of any help, but maybe cigars might be a better alternative.
At any rate, I've read most of the OTR adventures you've posted, and I think your "take" on life is both unique and interesting.

Maybe you can start a blog about the things you've experienced behind the wheel.
Thanks for the kind words.
Actually, I do have a blog although I haven't really written much there in the past couple of months. Blog burn-out I suppose. It's located here.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Lonestar: Glad you enjoyed the little story. I enjoy writing humorous things more than anything else, even if it can be the hardest to write sometimes.
If we ever ran across each other ono the road it would probably have not been over the CB. I do have one and listen for any information I may need, but rarely talk on it due to the massive number of idiots out there. All in all I find it embarrassing for the industry. Grown men behaving like five year olds has never impressed me.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
rarely talk on it due to the massive number of idiots out there
Agreed.

One exception though. Between say midnight and 5 am, when everybody is trying to keep their eyelids open and a high percentage of the crackerheads have parked for the night.

I've had conversations and debates that lasted hours, about politics religion and most anything else in between. It sure beats a redbull for keeping your eyes open and making the miles fly by, but I did a lot of drving at night and I guess thats usually not an option for what you haul.

Less idiots to deal with, on 4 wheels and 18 too.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
This was hilarious mate. Always loved your posts.
Myself? "Me too" tried that with Me once, I just told him that he couldn't exist without me so he had better behave. But then again, I love the fags, and I think that I would have to say I love them even more than the pipe for a few reasons: I can't smoke inside and going outside for 30 minutes plus is sometimes very hard, during the summer months it is too hot to smoke a pipe for that 30 minutes -period-. . . I just got my pipes back out last week after 4 months without one, and I've had cigarettes longer so they are more habitual than going for the pipe is. That third prospect could actually be altered if the first two were, but they can't at the moment.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I've noticed that I can get by with just pipes, but only if I have cigs at home. If I'm out of cigs it is impossible, I have to have them. Why is that?

maduroman

May 15, 2010
if you drive a truck long enough you will not only argue with me too, but also me three...
hang in there brother, i went from a 5 pack a day smoker to none...

Status
Not open for further replies.