PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
What a morning. About 2 weeks ago my wife went and had her snow tires taken off and replaced with her summer tires. This morning she had booked a family portrait session, so my wife and I and our two small children took her car and headed out on the highway, driving to the place where we were meeting the photographer. We were exiting the highway off ramp when the entire rear wheel of the car flew off. We ended up in the ditch and very nearly rolled. Everyone was fine and we felt very fortunate to all be in one piece.
When the police arrived (about 2 minutes later) they could not find the wheel nuts for the missing wheel. They said they think that either someone tried to steel the wheel and took the nuts off or the place that put the summer wheels on didn't tighten them properly and they came off before the incident happened. Needless to say, we are a little shaken up. Oddly, the kids thought it was all pretty exciting, especially the ride home in the police car.
I need a stiff scotch and a strong bowl.

surlysoul

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2013
Glad to hear you are all ok. That had to be scary, especially with your family in the car.
The same thing happened to a friend of mine after he replaced the tires on his car. Ever since then, he drives around the block and has the garage double check the nuts. I am sure the garage finds it annoying, but it gives him peace of mind.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Glad to hear you and your family came out in one piece. If it were me, I can't say the technician who worked on my car would be in one piece for much longer.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
That is crazy!

I am glad to hear everyone was okay.

I had the same thing happen to me a few years back. It was a case of the mechanic not tightening the lugs.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Peck glad you all are alright. I've had the same thing happen to some of our trucks when we get them back from the City garage.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Glad you and yours are safe and sound, Peck.
The kids will remember this incident forever. Riding home in a police car? Thrilling!
Fnord

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I always change my tires myself for this reason with a hand wrench as tight as possible. Also change the oil ourselves, because many times they won't put the bolt on right and the oil will start gushing out of the car during the drive... My mother once had her breaks replaced and they never put them on right, so the breaks failed almost immediately and she had to stop the car with her parking break! Needless to say we replace our own breaks too...
Car shops could be more responsible for their work.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
You're really lucky Peck - very glad you're all safe.
Many years ago we had our tires done and they only hand tightened the bolts. Fortunately I was driving behind my wife and noticed the tire wobbling. We were able to fix it then and there - but could have turned out much worse.

ugh457

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2013
Brantford, Ont.
Glad all turned out well.
I've had two different experiences with wheels falling off. One where I was in the car riding as a passenger on my way to see my girlfriend; whom is now my wife; in Gananoque. The other was working at a repair shop, where another mechanic had not tightened the wheel. The father of the girl who owned the car, well, let's just say his "conversation" was loud and animated.
Chris

blade

Lurker
Jan 25, 2010
Glad everyone is fine.
Almost happened to my wife a couple of years ago. She felt the car being weird, got off the highway, went to a service station and the guy told her she's lucky to have gotten off when she did as her tire was almost off.

Status
Not open for further replies.