PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
5 brothers tobacco I absolutely laughed when I saw I got this in my free goodie box from P&C. Anyways I decided to look at the reviews on tobacco reviews yeah yeah don't trust reviews. Well anyways this had an average of 3 stars. Unlike the paladin black cherry cough cough 1.5 would be in the negatives if possible. I read some reviews on the 5 bros and pipestud Steve whom I would trust his reviews rated this a 4 star. I do believe he had stated that there was enough nicotine in this to knock you out cold so to speak. Anyways I decided to load up a bowl of this interesting shag cut burley. Now keep in mind I don't like burley sharp only when it's mellow, or mixed with dark fired Kentucky or other concoctions. Well smoked a bowl of this stuff and yeah nicotine junkie here you go $3.15 for loads of just nicotine joy lol. The smoke actually wasn't as bad as I would have thought did have a bit of sharpness to it but overall the burley was nutty flavored and wasn't bad. Would I recommend this yes I think it's a solid pouch tobacco for the price. Is this classified as a drugstore blend? I'm going to guess probably but it is still an enjoyable smoke. Not my cup of tea so naturally I jarred it and hope for the best if tastes change also a good blend to have to spice up some of my blends I love but lack vitamin N.
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

I find the same as you. I enjoy the 5B much better than the Paladin, which left a medicine-y after taste like I had just taken some cough medicine. (Apples/oranges, but...) The 5B was a pleasurable strong flavored smoke, which tastes best, to me, in a big ass bowl diameter, which opens up the bass notes for a rich flavor experience.

Good review.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Burley is my baby, so I am not your best resource here. Five Brothers tastes smooth and mild, with a good nic kick, but that's not its virtue to me. It comes dry and will keep forever, jarred or otherwise. It has a big robust flavor, but yes smooth and mild at the same time. But I'm afraid I'm going to sell this to some newbies, or lovers of aros, or people with more upscale tastes, and lead them to being bummed out by it. It is a good burley, a sort of classic. Stay hydrated, and it's best after a good meal, but to me it's a pleasant smoke, not knock-out punch.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I enjoy at least one bowl a day... I put some 5 Bros in my pocket pipe... I have a coffee and smoke it for 5-10 minutes and is very satisfying. No bad after taste. Clean flavor... neither rich or deep... just clean. I agree that it is smoother if you smoke it slower.
I have had tobacco that is so much worse that cost 5x that.
I grabbed two more pouches of the 5 bros on my last tobacco order from smokingpipes. com

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I read that back in the day the old codgers used to chew 5 Brothers. Today a friend of my grandson said that he needed a stronger chew so I let him have some of my 5 Brothers to try. He's going to buy a pound for chewing only. Some folks like to live on the edge.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I, for one, will not be chewing any Five Brothers, but I admire the, uh, fortitude of those who do.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Five Brothers is really at its best when it boosts other blends, IMO. As an example; I love the flavor of Rattray's Black Mallory but wish it had more kick. With about 30% Five Brothers added, it is like baby bear's porridge - just right!
Five Brothers is a blend that readily absorbs the flavor of the tobacco it is mixed with without offering a taste of its own when mixed. Straight up, I find it to be like George Foreman, it can deliver one heck of a punch. :wink:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I'm rather fond of it. A great smoke for outdoors, wonderful with a little Virginia mixed in (try a pinch of Irish Oak).

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
At first, I used this as sort of a tobacco of last resort... but then I came to enjoy it. First I rolled it with the (poor) D&R imitation of Three Castles, then mixed it with some of the Scots tobaccos, and finally just smoked it straight. If you like naturals it's a great option.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
This mixture with Five Bros does well for me. At work when I need a quick to light Nicotine punch its a great match up for the requirements. Equal parts of McClellands 5100, PS 311 Perique, and some Five Brothers. Those ingredients and baked for 1 hr at 200 degrees and make it a lot less harsh. The 311 LS Perique and Five Brothers delivers the nic. The 5100 Virginia and baking mellows the mixture.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I love Five Brothers, but I have never noticed it to be a heavyweight in the Vitamin N department. As Pipestud says, it is a great blending component. I use it mixed with McClelland 5100 and McClelland X10 as my break-in blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.