PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Just got done cleaning this old man up a bit. Seventy-five years of tar in the shank took about 8 sweetening treatments get out. All I gotta do is paint the bowl interior and fire it up. :D

According to the seller it’s from the 1940’s but a well known logo site matches it up as a 1930-1935 Linkman.

Are any of you gentlemen of a different opinion? I’d love to know for sure, it'd be kinda cool to think about the places it's been and time's it's seen.
100_0656.jpg

100_0659.jpg

arko

Lurker
Sep 22, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Can't help you, sorry, I don't know anything about Dr. Grabows. But I know when I see a beautiful pipe! Hope it'll bring you many years of great smokes ...

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
nice lookin pipe. what do you mean painting the bowl? nice clean up job.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Very nice looking. I have one that looks as if someone used it to beat nails into the wall, other than that though it is a beautiful pipe it just has some dings in it. One question though, why are you painting the bowl? I have heard it is better to leave it natural wood. Maybe I am wrong though.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Sorry guys, :mrgreen: I didn't mean like...rattle can green or anything, I took the stinky old bowl back to dark wood and in order to protect it a bit, I need to "paint" it with charcoal/buttermilk/sour cream.

iowamike

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2010
Wow Tommy that baby turned out nice. Can't belive its 70 plus years old. It looks new.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
After a good two hours of research regarding each of the five stamps and two logos,....everything points to a manufacture date of sometime during 1942-43.

So it's perhaps only 67 or 68 years old.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
In the future Tommy you should check out that Dr. Grabow forum link I posted. Just make a thread with the pipe in there with clear pictures and they will date it for you. Those guys are hardcore collectors and a few used to work for the company back in their hayday.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I believe he uses: http://pipephil.eu/index.html
That is one I use atleast though.

Status
Not open for further replies.