PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

viktor

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2024
Ontario, Canada
Problem #1: when you put your zippo in horizontal position there's not much flame going up. Problem #2, much more important: tasting the fuel in your mouth for an hour after smoking. Not worth it, stick to plastic lighters? Disclaimer: just got my first zippo today, lites sigs perfectly. Ah well, it's just another lighter.

viktor

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2024
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, I saw the pipe inserts (basically a new zippo) on youtube, I don't think it's worth it. So my new toy zippo is for cigarettes alone then :)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It the poster is serious, read on.

Don't like the fuel taste? Read the directions which should have accompanied your new Zippo. You don't want the flame going up, suck it down ... into the bowl, where the tobacco is. Most people can figure it out. Some, I guess, can't. I thought it was pretty simple but, I've used one for pipes, cigarettes and cigars for fifty plus years without issue.

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I can't stand the liquid Zippo fuel taste for lighting a pipe. I do have a butane insert for a Zippo and it works great. Outside of that I stick with a soft flame butane lighter, refillable or otherwise.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
It's suitable with proper technique. The reason I don't use a zippo is fuel leakage/evaporation.
This is also why I don't use a Zippo (though I decided against them since before taking up pipe smoking). Never could get one that didn't evaporate and need to be refilled weekly. Tried them stock, tried a bunch of Zippo "life hacks" for better fuel retention, etc. Nothing worked.

Bic always work perfect for way less. One lasts months on end, a 5 pack way outlasts a standard sized zippo fuel can and costs less.

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Bics are a great lighter for pipes. But, I've never had a problem filling the Zippo when it needed fuel. Just pull it apart, fill it until it's full, let overflow, if there is any. evaporate, reassemble and go about my business. If just never found it a pain to do. It's just the nature of a very dependable lighter. My Zippos are certainly cheaper than Bics. I've purchased hundreds of Bics. Only purchased two Zippos over fifty plus years. Both very dependable. A bottle of fuel lasts me a year, plus or minus. So, I spend more on Bics. I buy 'em ten at a time and I'm good for a couple of months.

Last edited:

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I will say though, I don't use my Bics on a pipe. It's different with pipes, I use my Bics for lighting cigarettes. Cigarettes take 1 light, and it doesn't take long to light them. Pipes take a lot longer to light, and sometimes need relights. My comparison of Zippo to Bic was strictly from a one pack/day cigarette smoking perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.