PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Many Esoterica blends. None of them were sub part by any means, but none of them were remarkable enough to justify the hype to me. Another disappointment was Cringle Flake. All I got was an overwhelming vinegar aroma and taste. Not the fermented red Va McClelland vinegar. It tasted and smelled like an apple cider vinegar topping.

ClenchedBilliard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 19, 2021
Louisiana
C&D Palmetto Balkan. I had such high hopes when that one came out and went all in in 2x8oz tins. I was highly disappointed, I utterly detest what they did to the Latakia in it. In fact I still have an unopened tin and 98% of another that I should find a good home for, because it ain’t at my house lol.

Reactions: LotusEater

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
if i had to choose one, it would be Sutliff 515 It’s good but my reaction to the red virginia leaves me too much of a metallic taste. i am aging it in hopes it will change its chemistry.
Keep in mind that 515 wasn't created to be a stand alone blend, but to deliver a note similar to 5100 when used as a blending component.

I liked it when I first smoked it straight, about 6 - 7 years ago whe it was first released to the public, but haven't smoked it in years. One issue I have with it was that it really gooped up a pipe after a few bowls.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Keep in mind that 515 wasn't created to be a stand alone blend, but to deliver a note similar to 5100 when used as a blending component.

I liked it when I first smoked it straight, about 6 - 7 years ago whe it was first released to the public, but haven't smoked it in years. One issue I have with it was that it really gooped up a pipe after a few bowls.
Jesse, my experience was similar. I have a pound vacuum sealed in Mylar.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesse, my experience was similar. I have a pound vacuum sealed in Mylar.
I have a similar amount and when I was experimenting with blending during a quiet period in 2018 I liked what it did with my rudimentary blends, but I have no desire to smoke it by itself. Maybe, if I retire next year (which is the likely scenario) I can start playing with it and the other blending tobaccos that have been in Mylar since 2018.
I'm also sitting on two tubs of that now 19 year old La Poche Perique that Sutliff, C&D, and others were using the past few years, which I got from Mark Ryan in 2016 at the WCPS. It would be a shame not to use it before I fall off the perch.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer

I quite agree that it is not necessarily a stand alone product and I was thinking I would use it as a blender. I jarred up my pound and felt that it might age well over the next three years or so and that at some point I would use it for my own blending. Many of the blends that I am not overly attracted to aren't because of the taste, but rather they have too much of a nic hit and ruin the rest of the day for me - kinda like when I decide to have a two martini morning at 7 AM in the morning. (There's a nice bar in Palm Springs, Hair of the Dog, where one can have a nice smoke at the restaurant - I meet a group of retired friends every once and awhile for Tuesday drinks - it's our way of thumbing our noses at the working class.) It's nice and wonderful until its time to get on with the rest of the day. FWIW, if I do decide to have a drink, I generally stop with one. Two just leaves me tired and lazy. But... that aside, I think 515 might be a way to thin out the heavy Nic tobaccos and allow me to enjoy them a little more.

Reactions: woodsroad

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
LOL, made the mistake of buying too much of this!!

For me, I’d say Warped Midsomar.

I must gotten an extremely exceptional batch of Orlik Golden Slices from 4Noggins last month, pretty much smells like, and very similar tastes to Sir John’s Flake, It was really good, I plan to stock up on a few later.

I guess like anything you get, sometimes, not so good batches... 🤔

P.S. That’s for Mr Golden Showers too LOL. I was like who’s this person calling it Golden Showers, I was thrown by the new avatar for a second. LOL 😝

Brilliant avatar! ❤️

Last edited:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thank IronMoney. He made this piece and, being the dumb bastard that I am, it took me months to realize that it's the perfect avatar. Jeez, is that guy talented or what?

OK, back to badmouthing vile blends.
If only that were the case. The usual suspects have been rounded up and for the umpteenth time, express their disdain for blends that most people rank from good to sublime.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If only that were the case. The usual suspects have been rounded up and for the umpteenth time, express their disdain for blends that most people rank from good to sublime.
I can’t help it if others like horrible blends.
In the ‘70’s and ‘80’s I smoked quite a bit of BS and 759 and was thrilled when Germain’s brought it back. I bought a stack of tins, popped one open, and fired up a bowl. Tasted like gasoline infused puppy farts! A few puffs and I was done. Fast forward 5 years and I tried it again. Aged gasoline infused puppy farts. Divvied up the tin and gave it to willing victims. I just can’t smoke it without experiencing nausea. It remains a mystery to me why anyone would willingly smoke it. Must be the name and the tin art, because the contents resemble real Balkan Sobranie about as much as I resemble Taylor Swift.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Which is why this is a personal opinion thread, no wrong answers. There have been threads here and other forums where smokers thought something was wrong with them because they didn't enjoy some of the "popular" blends. Taste is subjective or there would only be a handful of blends.

Last edited: