PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
We just had a thread on this topic. But what the heck, why not?
Penzance, Germain’s Balkan Sobranie, and the current version of “Escudo” are disappointing, especially Balkan Sobranie, which I find utterly vile.
The more recent Esoterica blends I’ve tried, Dunbar in particular, have been disappointing. Fortunately I have older releases that are good.
I wouldn’t waste a nickel on any Esoterica made after 2020.
Just a quick off-topic… @sablebrush52, your new profile image killed me. So good!

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
What have been the most over-hyped blends that you have encountered in your pipe smoking career ?Marlin Flake is one such for me. It smells lovely and smokes reasonably well but I never seem to achieve the blissful Nirvana smokes that others get. I find it lacklustre and bitey. I really want to love it but that is not reciprocated. I have given it enough chances, but there are more fish in the sea. Germains Medium Flake is another one. I gave it away as cigarette tobacco in the end....
I’ve only smoked a bit over 100 grams of Marlin Flake but I’m right there with you. The weird thing about that blend for me is that 2-3 of the bowls were absolutely sublime. Every other smoke was among the most “meh” I’ve had. Maybe it’s time to bust out a tin with some age and play around with different bowl shapes/sizes.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

John_B

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2023
I’ve only smoked a bit over 100 grams of Marlin Flake but I’m right there with you. The weird thing about that blend for me is that 2-3 of the bowls were absolutely sublime. Every other smoke was among the most “meh” I’ve had. Maybe it’s time to bust out a tin with some age and play around with different bowl shapes/sizes.
Yesterdays smoke du jour was some 5 year old Marlin. It was merely ok, but the evening pipe of DTM St Bernard really was a Nirvana smoke. It brought me everything that I wanted from Marlin, but never quite got.

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
Yesterdays smoke du jour was some 5 year old Marlin. It was merely ok, but the evening pipe of DTM St Bernard really was a Nirvana smoke. It brought me everything that I wanted from Marlin, but never quite got.
Funny you said that because I just did an Estervals restock and can’t wait to get more St Bernard’s.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Silem's Black.
I may have received a bad batch. The blend is not adequately packaged, I think. Loose plastic wrapping in a very beautiful, but not airtight, tin. It was bone dry by the time it arrived. I liked Boswell's Northwoods, so I was looking for an Aro English. But, It didn't scratch my itch.
You could be right about a bad batch or bad seal . I’ve had several tins, it’s really a nice crossover blend.

Reactions: FLDRD and yanoJL

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Blackhouse, and the other "blue" one that won the sobranie contests. I love Russ' blends but blackhouse was horrible to me.

Also jackknife plug. But thats not really my wheelhouse.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I had a bowl of GH Bright CR Flake last night, and I can't understand what all the fuss is about. A bowl of hot air is what it was. It improved towards the last quarter of the bowl, but for me, that is not enough. A disappointing tobacco, the rest will probably go in the bin, it doesn't even deserve to take up jar space.

I'd urge you towards another try before binning it!

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
SG Brown Sugar Flake.

To me, its smells amazing from the tin, but the taste is probably one of my least favorite of their entire line up. Glad I didnt go crazy on the latest drop.

Extremely underwhelming to the point that the name seems to be vastly misleading to the flavor profile.
I agreed somewhat initially. Lately though, after having been in a jar for a few months and with adequate drying time I've found it really tastes like it smells.

Reactions: twoonefive
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Wilke blends. I see alot of hype around John's blends and have never found one I cared for. Thats nothing against him, i just think Wilke isnt for me.
As far as large manufacturers, I've never really been excited about any of the Peterson blends.
Probably the most surprising one to me was WCC R&B. I love Simply Red and blends similar to R&B so I was very excited to try the stuff. I found it bitey and lacking in flavor.

To each their own.

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
I agree with the less than rave reviews the new Escudo has received. Since I was fortunate enough to have smoked the old Copes Escudo, I find the new Escudo to be underwhelming.

One that really blew me away was Half and Half. I don't normally smoke burley's but I had a strange urge the other day and stopped in a local smoke shop and bought some H&H. It was sealed in a plastic pouch and I couldn't really smell it. The old stuff I remember from the '60s and '70s smelled great in the pouch and smelled wonderful and when someone else smoked it. It never tasted as good to me as it smelled, but I got an urge to smoke some anyway. I bought a pouch and took it home and opened it. The smell from the pouch was very pungent, not at all like I remember the old H&H. Finally after allowing it to set for about 3 days I loaded a bowl with it. One draw through the unlit pipe was enough for me. I let the tobacco set in the pipe for about 3 days before I tried it again and I couldn't even put a match to it! That pipe now seems to be ghosted just by having the unsmoked tobacco in it. That was a real disappointment, probably the most disappointing tobacco I've tried to smoke!

seaweed

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2023
Maine
Escudo, but it seems that’s probably the most common one here.

OGS. Wasn’t good or bad. Just meh to me.

Jackknife plug - this was hyped a lot more on this forum about ten years ago, doesn’t get much traction these days.

Haunted Bookshop and OJK - strongly dislike both of these. Do not get the hype at all, but I’m glad it keeps many occupied and away from my favorite blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Spilman Mixture is revived from an early Twentieth Century blend, but I find it too mild, and with a few edges for such a mild blend.

I like most codger blends like Granger, SWR and SWR Aromatic, but I've never had an enjoyable bowl of Half & Half. This seems strange to me, because when I put together blends at home, one sure recipe is putting together a base of burley, with a substantial portion of Virginia, often with a sturdy pinch of black Cavendish. It comes out well nearly all the time, no matter how I proportion it. But somehow, Half & Half is more bite than flavor and just not enjoyable for me. I know some folks love it. Not me.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
90% of everything I’ve ever tried. But, Yes, Marlin Flake was a bust for me as well. The one I had the highest hopes for was FVF, but no matter how much age is on this blend, it does not agree with me. Now the reverse of this is McClelland Virginia’s. Fresh I could not tolerate them, but 15-20 years makes them sublime - to me.

Reactions: sablebrush52