PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I love being able to attach pics in this new forum!

Seems like in the old forum you had to sign some document with Satan, waive some Constitutional Rights, jump through flaming hoops on a skateboard...
Nah, nothing of the sort. The hassle was mostly, it seemed to me, with the individual member's gallery and then linking. I just uploaded all pics to my server and then used HTML: never an issue ('cept for those times my site was down).

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nah, nothing of the sort. The hassle was mostly, it seemed to me, with the individual member's gallery and then linking. I just uploaded all pics to my server and then used HTML: never an issue ('cept for those times my site was down).
For me, uploading to the old forum album from my phone was nearly instantaneous. Now, it takes just over 60 seconds to load from my phone to a thread. ?

• Sad
Reactions: olkofri

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Once upon a time, since before the World Wide Web existed, in fact, pipe & tobacco forums were primarily a repository for information. The tone was more academic, research, and expert oriented. Threads stuck around and were referred to and added to.

The last great Old School threaded forum went away after a technical error erased the decades (centuries?) of man-hours that went into it. The "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" dynamic kept people from ever using it again in significant numbers.

At about the same time that occurred, so-called "social media" bloomed because storage and bandwidth stopped being consumer-level constraints. And as soon as that barrier fell, platforms were created to provide a steady stream of ephemeral content and reward participation. Platforms designed to exploit how human brains work.

Such platforms are great for harvesting personal information and creating vast numbers of addicts who will be forced to look at advertising all day long to receive their limbic hits, but not good for the sort of thing that threaded forums did so well.

In the dozen years or so since the shift began, a large percentage of the older gentlemen who had a lot to contribute to the subject of pipes and tobaccos aged out, while a large number of people who'd literally never seen a pipe in the wild came aboard. The latter were also people who'd grown up with social media and brought their expectations with them regarding technology and---especially---immediacy and convenience.

That a threaded-style forum exists at all in an age of mobile-using social media dominance is the surprising bit, not how repetitious or superficial it is. Kevin has given pipe smokers what they---in 2019---said they wanted. That it boils down to little more than running log of social back-and-forth is a sign of the times, not poor design or implementation.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Once upon a time, since before the World Wide Web existed, in fact, pipe & tobacco forums were primarily a repository for information. The tone was more academic, research, and expert oriented. Threads stuck around and were referred to and added to.

The last great Old School threaded forum went away after a technical error erased the decades (centuries?) of man-hours that went into it. The "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" dynamic kept people from ever using it again in significant numbers.

At about the same time that occurred, so-called "social media" bloomed because storage and bandwidth stopped being consumer-level constraints. And as soon as that barrier fell, platforms were created to provide a steady stream of ephemeral content and reward participation. Platforms designed to exploit how human brains work.

Such platforms are great for harvesting personal information and creating vast numbers of addicts who will be forced to look at advertising all day long to receive their limbic hits, but not good for the sort of thing that threaded forums did so well.

In the dozen years or so since the shift began, a large percentage of the older gentlemen who had a lot to contribute to the subject of pipes and tobaccos aged out, while a large number of people who'd literally never seen a pipe in the wild came aboard. The latter were also people who'd grown up with social media and brought their expectations with them regarding technology and---especially---immediacy and convenience.

That a threaded-style forum exists at all in an age of mobile-using social media dominance is the surprising bit, not how repetitious or superficial it is. Kevin has given pipe smokers what they---in 2019---said they wanted. That it boils down to little more than running log of social back-and-forth is a sign of the times, not poor design or implementation.
I remember as a young collector having my wife (before we got married 30 years ago) downloading overnight at work and printing the forum digests for me the next day. When we got plugged in I'd sit quietly in chat rooms with some of the top collectors in the day just soaking it in. Some of those guys have passed to the smoke filled room in the sky and some who got board with the pipe boards years ago I see daily on Face Book. ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Bowie

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, though the day of the clever troll is long gone. Nowadays, what some call a troll is actually a pest. And some pests are persistent, some are prolific, and some are very sick. Usenet is dead! Long live usenet! (I still participate in a few forums).

Reactions: Casual and Elric

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
georged, that's an interesting commentary on the evolution of pipe sites online. I go back to 2013 here and wasn't participating before. I've noticed a small shift from members who smoke mostly high end artisan pipes to a wider swath with many estate pipe smokers, pipe restorers, moderately-priced pipe smokers, along with those who smoke high end pipes. However, I do not remember the old academic scholarly days; it's always been a pretty lively and varied group here, in my opinion.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
My question was ask in all seriousness, my snarkiness not meaning to offend, rather to let the air out, so we can be on the same level and talk to, not at, each other. As much as possible in this format ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.