PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Yeah everyone does and the upvoted posts are a joke. Reddit is a child’s entertainment.
If I saw any more posts of people’s cobs and BS tobacco by a goddamn book I was going to go nuts.

How else will people know I'm an intellectual? What, try to work in the fact that I don't own a TV into every conversation I have?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Hahaha omg you must have been there.

drinking an artisanal gastro-gin fizz with hydrocarbon gelatinized melon lemon balls flambé.

Reactions: JMcQ and Magpiety

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How else will people know I'm an intellectual? What, try to work in the fact that I don't own a TV into every conversation I have?
So, is that still a thing in this century? I recall a few folks sneering that they proudly didn't have a TV- "It's sooooo low-brow", back in the 80's and 90's. I have a few very nice TVs and enjoy the devil out of them. But I ain't no in-tell-lect-shul.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I hope many or most of these new members are not just impulse joiners, but that they'll dive into the discussion regularly and stay with us over time.

I'm relatively new here (<3 months) and appreciate the welcoming nature on this forum. Reddit forum was lame. Any gems of info there were hidden under a stinky mound of selfies (typically by the same few guys) or posed photos of pipe + artisan booze bottle + fancy pocketknife. This forum is both the Ford pickup and Mercedes of pipe forums: Helpful and high-end all in one.

I think one obstacle I find to posting is that I rarely have original or insightful information to pass along beyond the "First time trying X, I like it, any similar tobaccos I can try?" or "what I'm smoking (Capt. Black Original) / watching (Vikings) / reading (Jack Reacher novel)."

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
think one obstacle I find to posting is that I rarely have original or insightful information to pass along beyond the "First time trying X, I like it, any similar tobaccos I can try?" or "what I'm smoking (Capt. Black Original) / watching (Vikings) / reading (Jack Reacher novel)."
That's OK. When I joined I didn't know jack shit about piping. Now, over two years later I'm still relighting constantly, but I've enjoyed the banter and fellowship here. This place is the closest thing we have to a pub where smoking is still allowed.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
You should see me fumbling with my new Zippo pipe lighter insert. It's enough to make me want to go back to my disposable Bics.

The zippo is the one way to light I thought I ”got” quickly. Light, hold horizontal over pipe, slow draw. You should see me fumble with a butane lighter trying to stuff the flame in the bowl to get the bottom without burning the sides. I have to stop that. Or get better.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Hahaha omg you must have been there.

drinking an artisanal gastro-gin fizz with hydrocarbon gelatinized melon lemon balls flam
I'm relatively new here (<3 months) and appreciate the welcoming nature on this forum. Reddit forum was lame. Any gems of info there were hidden under a stinky mound of selfies (typically by the same few guys) or posed photos of pipe + artisan booze bottle + fancy pocketknife. This forum is both the Ford pickup and Mercedes of pipe forums: Helpful and high-end all in one.

I think one obstacle I find to posting is that I rarely have original or insightful information to pass along beyond the "First time trying X, I like it, any similar tobaccos I can try?" or "what I'm smoking (Capt. Black Original) / watching (Vikings) / reading (Jack Reacher novel)."
I agree. I feel like there are a lot more serious pipesmokers here than there. Lots of guys just wanting attention for their pipe or pocket knife or that they climb a mountain in a suit. (Not kidding and it’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen.). Pipe smoking is a community not a show-off session IMO. Sure it’s fun to show what you’ve got but Reddit is more like social media than a forum. If you need or want any type of specific information there good luck.

lots of information here on specific pipes/dating them/etc. I’ve looked at numerous threads on here for information before I joined. So much so that I recognize some of the screen names.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This thread is having pretty good activity. Thanks folks! There was some grumbling in early posts about it being repetitious ... I guess I'd mentioned some of this before. But the increasing membership is noteworthy, and the responses here reflect that.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Quite a number of threads are repetitious. But if we were to limit ourselves to content that has never ever been touched on before we'd have no forum. A big element of fora is the interaction between members, even if the topics have been discussed to death; for those who want to read about something only once, there's Pipedia.org.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA

It's OK, dude. It's a pipe smoking forum, not a pipe smoking college. Not everything has to contribute to the collective knowledge of pipe smokers. You can just share your opinions on pipes and tobaccos, talk about what you're up to, whatever. I like hearing from new folks (I am still pretty new myself).

2Barrels

Lurker
Nov 15, 2019
I bought a pipe, found great information on this site and people seemed friendly. So I joined. Didn’t know that the forum had been updated.

Once life gets slightly less busy, I will be more active :)

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Honestly same here any update was not noticed by me and was 0% of the reason for my joining. However it seems to work well! Not even sure what’s different.
The old site was mid a 1990's version of a free discussion forum. The format was a Dinosaur. But we, being Luddites, resist change. We lament the evils of the internet, but it's the internet that could and can save pipe smoking as a hobby by providing a place for like minded people to share information and camaraderie.

I've always found it a very odd dichotomy.

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019

+1. Not much to contribute but I joined after 90% of my searches had results from this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.