PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Has anyone tried the "new" Peterson blends vs the old Dunhill blends? I think the the reissued 965 is much closer than the match that is out there. Now I'm comparing the Elizabethan Mix to the old stuff and the match. Your thoughts?

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Has anyone tried the "new" Peterson blends vs the old Dunhill blends? I think the the reissued 965 is much closer than the match that is out there. Now I'm comparing the Elizabethan Mix to the old stuff and the match. Your thoughts?
They're the same blends, sourced from the same stocks and suppliers, processed by the same manufacturer, in the same plant using the same equipment, by the same staff. STG simply restarted the pipeline. The only difference is the name on the label.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
They're the same blends, sourced from the same stocks and suppliers, processed by the same manufacturer, in the same plant using the same equipment, by the same staff. STG simply restarted the pipeline. The only difference is the name on the label.
That sounds like very bad news for those who stockpiled them in expectation of selling them in the future for exorbitant prices. ?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Your thoughts?
How many years do you want to go back. I haven't thoroughly enjoyed any Dunhill blends since the early 70s and before. What I startted on in mid-60's bears little resemblance to anything with a Dunhill/Peterson/etc. label now a days. But, if you have nothing to compare to but the last 10-15 years and you like it, why make comparisons. It's all about what you like, not what we old guys think.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That sounds like very bad news for those who stockpiled them in expectation of selling them in the future for exorbitant prices. ?
There's going to be SOMEONE who is sure that the Peterson labeled release is different and that he/she knows better and isn't going to be fooled like the rest of us. And they will pay more for the tins labeled Dunhill, because they are aren't fools.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
they're basically all English blends anyway.

Yes they're famous for the English & Balkan blends but really they had plenty of greats in other categories such as VaPers and straight Virginians.--you just had to push a little deeper into their blend catalog. There's almost nothing that Dunhill did poorly. Even their worst blends were still pretty good.

Oct 7, 2016
STG simply restarted the pipeline. The only difference is the name on the label.

Question is whether the production pipeline ever stopped. I just saw a photo of a Swiss shop where, proudly displayed, were tins of Wellauer Nightcap, etc., with the sacred Dunhill tin art sans brand name, of course. Certainly a close enough replica of the Dunhill tins to have incited infringement litigation if these were marketed with out some level of cooperation between the holders of the rights to use the Dunhill name and STG. My curiosity got the best of me, and lo and behold, I looked and there are even reviews of the Wellauer Nightcap at TR,. Of course smokers are focused on finding differences, so most do.

The Charlatan brand name was suddenly resurrected with names that were designed to be “similar” to the old Dunhill line. Two different pipe smokers in the UK who attended roll outs for the Charatan line at two shops in different parts of the UK told me that the reps in attendance did everything but say unequivocally that the blends were identical.

My guess is that these blends never stopped being made, thus meeting, at least STG hopes, the continuous production requirement, which might not require continuous importation to the US. There is a lot that goes on in this industry that even those of us who pride ourselves on having “industry sources” (usually no more than one or two levels above a field sales rep, if that) are clueless about. Keep in mind that the industry has a historically proven record of being economical with the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.