PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
There's going to be SOMEONE who is sure that the Peterson labeled release is different and that he/she knows better and isn't going to be fooled like the rest of us. And they will pay more for the tins labeled Dunhill, because they are aren't fools.

There's already one moron who claims that vanilla is in the Peterson Royal Yacht mixture. He has a habit of tasting vanilla in durn near everything except 1Q!

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
You're right. I find it curious that Three Year Matured has continuously popped up online. At first I thought it was just backstock of the less popular blends like Baby's Bottom and Ye Olde Signe, but it's been almost two years now. Maybe production continued, but why that particular blend?

Oct 7, 2016
Stock just kept reappearing. I saw Three Year Matured Virginia go from less than 50 tins to over 100 on SPC last month.
Different distributors still had stock on hand. Philips and King was selling some of the less popular blends at the industry show in Las Vegas in June/July. A Canadian distributor sold a lot to US shops. This was all old production and labeling AFAIK. Production runs might be a minimum of 10,000 tins. That amount of 3 Year Matured ought to satisfy world demand for a good while. If it is someone’s favorite, my apologies, but it didn’t sell.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I remember seeing the Wellnauer, Charatan, and McConnell clones when they appeared. I wonder who made them. Was it all STG? Well, not the McConnell, which was K&K, but the other two. And the McConnell Heritage Clones were different blends that were similar, but not the same.

As for "continuous" production, that remains an issue, since the STG/Orlik production was out of the US market for over a year, roughly from 2008 thru 2010, before Lane took over distribution. Under the FDA Rules as published in 2016, they would not be automatically grandfathered in for that reason.

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Oct 7, 2016
Under the FDA Rules as published in 2016, they would not be automatically grandfathered in for that reason.
My understanding is that later guidance about continuous production has been provided, and that is along the lines of production anywhere in the world for any markets. What matters is if the product can be shown to be identical. My understanding is that STG was providing their ingredients listings to various EU regulators all along to comply with their rules, so compliance with the “sameness” issue should be as close to a non issue as it gets.

But I am fully retired and since I can no longer accept a fee, I am not going to even try to dig further into the murk of what still aren’t final regulations. I have zero experience with the FDA, but it is no different from other administrative agencies I have dealt with, in that, after initial publication of intended rules, there is a phase - often lengthy - where affected industry parties interact with the agency, get clarification on “well, what we are really concerned about is... “, “ you’ll probably be ok if... “ and so forth. They make plans according to this informal guidance. What seems to be happening here bears all the earmarks of that sort of process. Routine lawyering. Expensive, but routine. Out of public view? For the most part.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That sounds like very bad news for those who stockpiled them in expectation of selling them in the future for exorbitant prices. ?
That's the risk you take when dealing in the high stakes cutthroat world of vintage tobacco flipping. :ROFLMAO:

I guess they'll just have to smoke them. Goddamn what a bummer!!!!

Reactions: seanv and Elric

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
That sounds like very bad news for those who stockpiled them in expectation of selling them in the future for exorbitant prices. ?

I dunno. I could sell my Dunhill tins for $2/tin less than the Peterson and still make a nice profit. Why they were put on sale for $6/tin after they announced discontinuance I'll never know.

Reactions: seanv

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I just got back from 4 full days of testing the Peterson Dunhills vs. the Dunhill Dunhill out at the Argonne National Labs Wakefield Accelerator. Turns out they aren't the same. The differences in labeling maybe undetectable to us but my friends calculations say the effects are being felt through 5 to 8 parallel dimensions. So while we can't tell any difference, those in say 5612QA universe are tasting cherry slurpees in 965. May God have mercy on our souls.

Status
Not open for further replies.