Evacuated - Sonoma County Fires (Rescued My Pipes)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Crazy times here... mandatory evacuation zone included our house and property as of 7PM last night. We escaped 3 hours South to stay with family. We were not the only ones to receive a mandatory evacuation notice, of course. Looks like 60-70% of the entire County did as well. Unprecedented. With 40-60 MPH winds now present in Northern CA, the immediate future is unclear. Zombie apocalypse?

One amusing thing I learned about myself is that, although newer to pipes, my pipes are important to me. As my wife and I were a few miles down the road evacuating, I exclaimed, "I forgot my pipes!". My wife (she's a keeper) said, "go back we still have some time". I did return, scooped about 15% of my collection without thinking much about it. What did I take? The Wally Frank (briar stem) below, all of my Edwards (4 in total), a large Marxman, a Savinelli 316KS Billiard, and a Sommer Paris 1920s Zulu.

I learned something about myself and which pipes I am partial to... BTW, I left behind my guitars and I have nice guitars, my pristine 30 year old F250, my Stihl chainsaw (hey, I love my chainsaw). I have my wife, dog, and pipes. What else does a man need?

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
That's interesting. I always wondered, after daughter/wife and dogs, what would come next. Probably my pipe and tobaccos too. Necessary after family.

"Stuff" really does not matter. It can be replaced (well, maybe not my WF). However, why not grab a few things if possible? On that note, I was sure to grab a good amount of tobacco. I'll be smoking one of those fine pipes today to have a little enjoyment while exiled.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Evacuating your home has to be a frustrating experience. I hope your house - and pipes and tobacco - make it through okay.

Thanks, Bowie. Hoping the homestead is standing when we return. Irregardless, we have a future and can take care of whatever comes... Some folks have lost everything. Thinking of them.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Crazy times here... mandatory evacuation zone included our house and property as of 7PM last night. We escaped 3 hours South to stay with family. We were not the only ones to receive a mandatory evacuation notice, of course. Looks like 60-70% of the entire County did as well. Unprecedented. With 40-60 MPH winds now present in Northern CA, the immediate future is unclear. Zombie apocalypse?

One amusing thing I learned about myself is that, although newer to pipes, my pipes are important to me. As my wife and I were a few miles down the road evacuating, I exclaimed, "I forgot my pipes!". My wife (she's a keeper) said, "go back we still have some time". I did return, scooped about 15% of my collection without thinking much about it. What did I take? The Wally Frank (briar stem) below, all of my Edwards (4 in total), a large Marxman, a Savinelli 316KS Billiard, and a Sommer Paris 1920s Zulu.

I learned something about myself and which pipes I am partial to... BTW, I left behind my guitars and I have nice guitars, my pristine 30 year old F250, my Stihl chainsaw (hey, I love my chainsaw). I have my wife, dog, and pipes. What else does a man need?

View attachment 6242
Tobacco! I think you should go back and get the TOBACCO!

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia

View attachment 6242
I feel your pain sir. Grew up in the cattle country east of Paso Robles CA about 1/2 way between I-5 and Hwy 1.......wildfires and earthquakes ain’t no joke! Hope you, your family and all your possessions make it through un scathed

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA

View attachment 6242
Hope everything turns out alright. I'm just down the road in Fremont, and was just noticing how perilously windy it seemed to be for this early in the morning. Glad you and your wife and your dog are safe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whew, those California fires are a real threat, and the power outages to go with them. I have a cousin and his wife up in that area, but they're not characteristically communicative, so I doubt I'll check in, or won't hear back if I do. Power outages are no stranger here. Cause all kinds of freezer and fridge storage problems, a.c./heat, etc. Our area has huge old trees in The City of Oaks, but all the power is in overhead lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.