PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I take it pipe by pipe. With artisan pipes, I would rather buy from a selection of completed pipes than commission one, since I am more likely to find the complete package appealing rather than simply float my ideas (even in considerable detail) and hope for the best. But if you have an artisan who really speaks your language, it could be ideal. Much to be said for artisan pipes, and I own a number. Factory pipes can be excellent dollar for dollar. Having a production line can actually perfect rather than degrade the end product if the people on the line are crafts people, and many are. I don't think I could confine myself to one type or the other. Some factory pipes, some of the old name U.S. pipes for example, have a quality of design that has both cultural context and imaginative depth, sort of like 1950's automobiles.

Reactions: wulfheard

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Good call Ben, and congrats! That is one gorgeous pipe. I'm betting the 'woman' in question is none other than

SWMBO!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Ben it's hard to beat his prices. I'm looking forward to Adam making a few more for me.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
I'm way more attached to my commissioned piece. I own a number of different pipes but the process I went through from start to finish really sealed the deal for me. Not sure how it is with other carvers but Clark Layton kept me in the loop the whole time. It was awesome to see pics of each step along the way. I own a few Dunills and as much as I enjoy them, I just have more of a connection to my commissioned piece.
If I had $400 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd commission another pipe in a heart beat.
The only drawback is of course the wait. Most carvers have a waiting list whereas you won't have a problem locating a Dunhill or a Castello. At that point it becomes instant vs delayed gratification.
All that being said though, the pipe you bought looks great! Congrats.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ryan's pipe are an excellent value for the money. He's a top notch carver and his blasts are stunning. I'm also partial to Scottie Piersel and Tony Fillenwarth. Basil Meadows is also a fine maker who's pipes are very affordable and he makes a great Bing. And though I don't own any of his pipes, Sasquatch's work gets raves from those who own them.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A new Castello is a wonderful thing, to me, just as appealing as a new artisan pipe. A new Dunhill,nee Whitespot, increasingly less so. So, good choice!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There are so many established makers whose work I covet that when I am willing to whack my savings for another pipe to add to my collection whose current members are not seeing sufficient service, I rarely think of buying from newer makers. The price for new pipes by Lee von Eerk, Rolando Negoita, Castello, Brad Polman and Michael Lindner are beyond my budget; but ah,! an estate?
I either go for strictly classical shaping or that which deviates from it in a manner that I consider artistic.

Oct 7, 2016
@ben88, if I hadn't picked up a GG 65 Old Antiquari on the Bay around July,you would have been competing with me. And I probably would have set my snipe program at a few bucks over $200. There have been three Old Antiquari G and GG 65's on e Bay in the last year that caught my eye, I was the underbidder on one, snagged the one referenced, and the one you got is the third. Well played, sir.
As for your solution, one of my Italian friends has adopted a similar approach when he has narrowed his choices down to two pipes "Why should I inflict suffering on myself?".
Enjoy your pipe(s)!

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
@oldgeezersmoker, is that what the pipe is? I asked seller few times for the nomenclature pics, but never got it. I hope his description is correct and there isn't any problems with the pipe.

Oct 7, 2016
@ben88, it is indeed a 65, though it may or may not have the shape number on it. No real significance to whether it does or doesn't. It should have a G stamp on it, and it does look like a legit size to merit a G or GG stamp. If you have any questions after you get the pipe,feel free to send me a PM.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I had to go with one or the other, I think I'd go artisan, just to vote for individuality and independence. But I sure would miss my Savs, Petes, Big Bens, Stanwells, etc.

Sep 21, 2019
SoCal
I have a few Dunhill's no Costello's (from all the input on Costello I fell as though I'm missing out on something) sure like, as in a lot, Jared Coles pipes, ever since he went his own way. Clark Layton, and Tom Eltang sure make fantastic pipes...And then there's that Mark Tinsky quite the value. It's like being a kid in a candy store!!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
M

Merton

The answer, it seems to me, lies only in the wood. I agree with the poster above that Castello pipes are, in fact, artisan pipes. It has always irked me to read the notion that Castello is a " factory " pipe (no disrespect to actual factory pipes, some of which are very good indded) as opposed to a vaunted artisan pipe. The reality is that many artisan makers cannot compete with the quality of the Castello briar and the drying/curing process which they have developed and allowed. You can have the best button in the business and get away with a grand a throw but if you have substandard briar you won't be able to come close to the smoking quality provided by the little pipe "factory" in Cantu.
No disrespect to older Dunhills but I have smoked lots of Castellos and more than a few Dunhills produced in the last twenty years or so and there is simply no comparison and Dunhill does not even come close.

Reactions: sleepy57
Status
Not open for further replies.