PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
I don’t know... in reality, the $200-$400 is really the limiting factor, along with a smaller pool of artisan estates to choose from. I own Von Erck, Jody Davis, Llarrysson among others, and I own Dunhill, Castello and Ashton among the higher end “production” pipes. Pick a day and I’ll tell you which I’d pick :). Right now I’m enamored with a Dunhill Dress pipe which is smoking incredibly well - so I’m looking intently at Dunhill. Then again, Paul Hubart and his son Isaac just got the new Llarrysson workshop open last week, so I’m following what’s going on there... If you’re goal is to focus closely on one or two marks, then you’ve got some decision making to do. My collection - about 100 pipes +\- is wide ranging. When a pipe speaks to me, and/or a good value for a quality piece comes along, I pull the trigger. I can’t remember the last time I lost $$ moving a pipe that didn’t make the grade - usually it’s a profit center!

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I may never buy another Castello, and it would really depend on the specific Dunhill.
$400 would be Sandblast range for most of the artisans I would hire, and that's fine by me.
SO I guess if it were a patent era Dunhill in a size/shape I love, id go with that.
Otherwise I'm having a conversation with someone.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
As some others have hinted at, it's all about your individual taste. I don't yet have any pipes in this price range or above, but when I do I'll probably start with a few classic Brit pipes, like Dunhill and Barling because I for the most part favor classic shapes and appreciate the provenance of these old U.K. classics. However, at some point I'll probably want something more unique, as by way of comparison I also own and appreciate freehand style pipes and their one-of-a-kind character.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I lean towards artisan pipes when the price range approaches $400.

There's no real reason, it's just the direction I'm steering my pipe collection. I like the "uniqueness" of owning artisan pipes although I won't hesitate to pick-up a Dunhill, WO Larsen, or Savinelli if the price is right since these are also part of my collection.

I recently picked up my first new artisan pipe (Doug Finlay - DWF pipe #57), I have another artisan pipe on it's way from Germany, and hopefully I'll find something at the upcoming WCPS. I also have a WO Larsen and a Savinelli Autograph on their way; both estates. My brower also has a ton of both high end and artisan pipes bookmarked just waiting for me if they're still there when my budget permits. If they've sold by the time I have the budget then congrats to whoever got them.

So i guess I'm "both please" rather than "vs", it's just a matter of price I suppose.

All of that being said, I would love a Dunhill Alphorn but I can't afford any pipe in that price range...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd cop out by saying it's up to you, but I'd suggest you look at some options. Unless you are absolutely in love with a particular Castello or White Spot, and can arrive at a better than average price, I would start by also looking at some high end pipes by Nording, Savinelli, etc., and consider you might get two or three top notch, sometimes hand carved pipes for what you would pay for the Cas or Spot. With artisan pipes, I'd also look at new carvers who have exceptional talent but have not yet notched up their prices. Again you could buy several excellent examples for what you'd pay for single big brands. Nothing wrong with breaking the bank, if you can do that, and that's what you want. But if you are truly looking for a primo smoke at a well-bargained price, consider your options before you develop a passion for brand alone. Don't get me started on down-market pipes, which is where I live. Your Scottish Uncle ...

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Ben88,
That's an interesting dilemma.
The price point for high-end pipes and most artisan made pipes keep me out of the game. While I could occasionally afford such an investment, I use my pipes and I work them pretty hard. Honestly, I don't want a pipe that is so valuable that I am afraid to smoke it for fear of damaging it

I'm the same way. As much as I enjoy looking at the fantastic pipes being made these days, I wouldn't buy an artesian. I'm too rough on my pipes, and I won't buy something I won't use.

Last edited:

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
There is an "old saying" that you "get what you pay for" and I have generally found it true. You have to consider what your purchase is for: is it for show, the pride of possession, actually smoking, investment, or whatever? Price is always determined by scarcity (what is available versus what is desired). Just think about the price of pipes from the so-called old masters after they pass away.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
One of the best smoking pipes I own, one that is always in rotation and one that I always reach for, is a Brebbia that I bought for $2.
Every blend I put through it smokes well. Nobody is going to make a pipe that smokes better for me, and I own some high end pipe gear.
Artisan vs Factory doesn't matter. There's no magic either way. You just happen upon a great pipe by nothing more than dumb luck, that just thoroughly works for you. If you're really lucky, that happens a few times.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
As much as I enjoy looking at the fantastic pipes being made these days, I wouldn't buy an artesian. I'm too rough on my pipes, and I won't buy something I won't use.

I'm in the same camp. I appreciate the craftmanship of beautiful pipes but I'd rather smoke something I don't have to fuss over. Plus I'm fond of the look of old battered pipes that look like they've been through war. They have their own special beauty.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Up-market is a slippery concept. To dot-com millionaires and others in the income bracket, anything under five grand is dumpster fodder. For folks like me, anything over $100 is a serious purchase that could take weeks or months. Possibly my most expensive artisan pipe by the late Bob Hayes was sold to me at the end of a pipe show for a third or less its usual asking price. He knew I liked and appreciated his pipes and wanted me to have one, and had the power to make it so.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm in the same camp. I appreciate the craftmanship of beautiful pipes but I'd rather smoke something I don't have to fuss over. Plus I'm fond of the look of old battered pipes that look like they've been through war. They have their own special beauty.
The dirty, damaged, well caked pipes truly make me smile.

Reactions: logs

garageboy

Might Stick Around
Jul 15, 2019
Any pipe makers that do more British shapes? Most makers do free styles/Danish which are not my cup of tea. Dunhill and savinelli catalog shapes are my jam.

Status
Not open for further replies.