PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I understand that $200-400 may not be actually considered a high end pipe, but given a choice, would you buy a Dunhill or Costello, for example, or commission the pipe?

mwsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2017
Depends on the commission. Price is a bad way to gauge carvers' talent and pipe quality.
At $400 or less, it would be estate Dunhill or Castello, or a new Mark Tinsky.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I never owned a Dunhill, but it seems to me that both it and Castello are overpriced. That is not to say that they aren't good, but there are a few brands out there that are as good, and less expensive. If you can work with a pipemaker to create a custom piece, you might get more satisfaction for the money.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
If I had $200.00 - $400.00 to spend on a pipe, I would buy a Castello or two. Every Castello I've ever smoked, has been excellent. Dunhills are hit and miss, IMHO. Artisan pipes can often be spectacular smokers, but not all artisans are created equal. Buy a Castello or two, then start researching artisan pipe makers, find out which ones will craft a pipe to fit your style. Then buy several estate artisan pipes before you commission one, that should be down the road a bit.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I think the answer should depend on why you are buying such a pipe, what you hope to achieve? Do you want to own something one-of-a-kind, or something with a corporate history that dates back 100 years, or something that's a benchmark, or something that you had a hand in designing.... There's a hundred right answers here.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Ben88,
That's an interesting dilemma.
The price point for high-end pipes and most artisan made pipes keep me out of the game. While I could occasionally afford such an investment, I use my pipes and I work them pretty hard. Honestly, I don't want a pipe that is so valuable that I am afraid to smoke it for fear of damaging it and that is the deal breaker for me.
As with many things, paying extra for a marquee isn't always the best investment. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for and these days that's not nearly as much as it once was with Dunhill and some other high-end brands. That said, I would go for the commissioned pipe over the "high-end" pipe every time. With a commission, you get the exact pipe you want for money you feel is appropriate and that, to me, is the deal maker. In fact, I own a fair number of Boswell's pipes for that exact reason.
Cheers,
Chili

Reactions: didimauw

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I prefer a handmade artisan pipe from a quality artisan every time. From my experiences most of these artisans do not let a pipe that doesn't meet their standards out of the workshop. I would say 99% of artisans choose this career bc they have a passion for making pipes, not to get rich. That passion reflects in the one of a kind, carefully handmade from start to finish pipes that hit the market. Their names are on them and they do everything they can to make those pipes as perfect as possible. From my experience, and I have around 90 artisan pipes, it's hard to find a lemon with most of these pipe makers.

Jan 8, 2013
Tough call for me. I'm crazy enough to choose a certain Peterson I've been hounding over a commission if given the choice :rofl:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I own Dunhills and various other forms of Britwood and while they all smoke pretty good, nothing comes close to my herd of Ryan Alden pipes. Right from the start they smoke great.
So if I could only smoke one brand or artisan,.... Ryan Alden all the way.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I have several Castello pipes and three commissioned pipes from Jesse Jones, and have had other commissioned pipes. First let me say that Castello pipes ARE artisan pipes. There are 6 artisan carvers making them in the shop. I have both because I love both! Jesse will make a sandblasred pipe of your design for 350 to 375, and is a site sponsor (see Blue Room Briars). I have yet to find a Castello that wasn't exceptional! Again, what are you looking for, a high quality marquee or something you want made specifically?

Reactions: Merton

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I haven't come close to those kinds of numbers yet but I feel like I would prefer to commission a piece that will be uniquely made for me rather than order a stock pipe even if it's mechanically on par.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Thank you, gentlemen, for your advices.

However, once again, the best advice came from a woman. "Just get both and shut up about it" she said before shutting computer down)))))

So, now I have a Castello, heading my way
9toemd.png

2mnqkhj.png

28c1qf9.png

I hope I haven't overpaid

Anyone knows more than it's a G65?
And on advice of Dave G, I bow down to him for all help and knowledge, I'll be seeking a commission from Marvic pipes

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I give you two options.
1. One pipe from Ryan Alden

2. Two pipes from Adam aka Clickklick
I've got one Castello pipe and for the price of an Alden commission why would I buy another Castello?

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I personally prefer to support an artisan pipe maker, but I can see the appeal of the history of a factory. I tend to buy factory pipes as estates to keep my pipe budget for the artisan maker. And yes, as jon11 pointed out, pipe makers don't get rich doing this, it is for the love of the pipe. It's why I started making pipes, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.