PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I’ve been using a Z-pipe butane pipe insert for several years. Works great. I don’t know how it compares to Zippo’s insert.

I think I got it on Amazon.
I've got one of these on the way now...hope it works out...I've had terrible luck with butane pipe lighters of a few different brands...none of them seem to last very long. About the time I start thinking one of them is finally going to last long term it gives out.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
This may not be new news (it was to me) but Zippo is now selling bare pipe inserts on their website, available in silver and gold colors. I discovered this when I was on the site to get information on returning a battered specimen for some factory TLC. Don't recall seeing this option when I was last on their website about 6 months ago. I assume Zippo still exchanges inserts for free, however being able to purchase inserts avoids having to trust some of my commemorative, one of a kind, lighters to the Postal Service plus I can retain the original insert.

Apologies if this is already general knowledge, it was news to me.
They also have a butane soft flame insert now, I don't know if I just completely missed it or what but that seems new to me. Used to be you'd have to get the third party soft butane inserts off Amazon.

View attachment 147370

Maybe it was on Reddit or something but I swore I saw people saying they don't do this anymore.
Good to know. Thx!

F

fMf Piper

They also have a butane soft flame insert now, I don't know if I just completely missed it or what but that seems new to me. Used to be you'd have to get the third party soft butane inserts off Amazon.

View attachment 147370

Maybe it was on Reddit or something but I swore I saw people saying they don't do this anymore.
I recently contacted Zippo support to ask about an exchange, and they responded that I could purchase a pipe insert and included a link, so I don't think they do this for free anymore.

Bullmoose

Lurker
Feb 15, 2023
Cincinnati, Ohio
I recently contacted Zippo support to ask about an exchange, and they responded that I could purchase a pipe insert and included a link, so I don't think they do this for free anymore.
Same experience here. They told me they have discontinued the freebie.

Given where we are economically speaking, it doesn’t surprise me that they just offer them for sale now. Although I can’t imagine those inserts cost more than a few cents to make.