PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
This may not be new news (it was to me) but Zippo is now selling bare pipe inserts on their website, available in silver and gold colors. I discovered this when I was on the site to get information on returning a battered specimen for some factory TLC. Don't recall seeing this option when I was last on their website about 6 months ago. I assume Zippo still exchanges inserts for free, however being able to purchase inserts avoids having to trust some of my commemorative, one of a kind, lighters to the Postal Service plus I can retain the original insert.

Apologies if this is already general knowledge, it was news to me.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
They also have a butane soft flame insert now, I don't know if I just completely missed it or what but that seems new to me. Used to be you'd have to get the third party soft butane inserts off Amazon.

ezgif-5-f7528160fd.jpg

I assume Zippo still exchanges inserts for free
Maybe it was on Reddit or something but I swore I saw people saying they don't do this anymore.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
They also have a butane soft flame insert now, I don't know if I just completely missed it or what but that seems new to me. Used to be you'd have to get the third party soft butane inserts off Amazon.

View attachment 147370

Maybe it was on Reddit or something but I swore I saw people saying they don't do this anymore.
There was a recent thread here where people have mentioned that they don’t exchange any more which is strange. We were recently at the Zippo flagship store and for each lighter we bought they gave us a pipe insert free when we asked. Yes, the soft flame is a recent addition.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I had a couple of Zippo lighters already, but rather than purchase pipe inserts for them I just bought completely new Zippo pipe lighters, since the cost was about the same as buying the inserts alone.

Reactions: Bassman65

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
There are also off brand companies that make inserts for zippo too. Some have soft and hard flame butane built into. I have one that fits my Zippo case, you light it and hold the button its hard flame let go its soft shut the case kills the flame.

Reactions: Bassman65
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I've tried a few different zippo inserts for pipes, the only one I've found that worked very well was the actual zippo petrol insert. Thunderbird inserts were absolute garbage, and all other butane inserts were less than stellar.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I had this brass armor Zippo sent in twice, in roughly 6 years. Was in my pocket that entire time. Both times for loose hinge, but had a pipe insert installed the first time I sent it in. So for about 4 dollars for shipping you can get a new insert (as long as you have a back up lighter!)

PXL_20230104_041652015.MP.jpg
Sent in a different Zippo as well once, just for the pipe insert. forgot to check sentimental for that one tho. No big deal.

So I got 2 pipe inserts for about 8 dollars in shipping costs.