PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PApiper63

Lurker
Apr 13, 2024
I hope this is in the right category, but if not, please forgive me.

I heard through various forums that if you mail your regular zippo lighter back to the factory, they will replace the insert with a pipe. Insert free of charge. I sent messages on two separate occasions to their customer service Department and got a return email that stated that they would get back to me soon. It has been a couple of weeks and I have not heard from them regarding my question.
I looked on their website and couldn't find this information. Do any of you know if this is true and if so, what process I should go through? Also, if you know where to look in their website for this information that would be helpful. Thank you.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Years ago, I sent in a brand new zippo with regular insert with a note in the package to replace insert with a pipe insert. I mailed it on a Thursday, and on the following Thursday I had a package from Zippo with my lighter and a pipe insert in it. It cost me all of about $4 to ship the small package. Talk about fast service.

I've sent in another lighter in the past for a minor repair and I received it back after about 10 days. I've had great luck with their customer service.

Reactions: Nevaditude

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
North Dakota, USA
Last time I sent in a Zippo in for repair and asked for a Pipe Lighter, they said they were available on their website to purchase. This was last year.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Zippo is a fine American engineered lighter. And the company stands by their products. Never had a problem getting service I needed on my Zippos.

Reactions: edger

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Seriously, just buy one, they are cheap.
If your Zippo is broke, they will send it back with the pipe insert.
In my opinion the warranty should NOT cover a free part just because you want it.

Reactions: Piping Abe

PApiper63

Lurker
Apr 13, 2024
Seriously, just buy one, they are cheap.
If your Zippo is broke, they will send it back with the pipe insert.
In my opinion the warranty should NOT cover a free part just because you want it.
I did not want a "free part". I was interested in exchanging one part for another so it is more user friendly to me. I know they used to exchange a regular insert for a pipe insert. If they dont still do that of course I will buy one.

Reactions: Sig
I bought a Zippo lighter in 1969 at boot camp, with the USN brass anchor. The top broke about 5 years ago and I sent it in. I got it back in 4 days with a new hinge and a nice note thanking me for my service. I bought a dedicated pipe lighter from Zippo about 3 years ago, but the Zippo lighter fluid melted the finish off of the outside of the lighter. I sent it in and they sent me a new lighter. Nowadays, I use my IM Corona to keep the briar going.