Your Very Large Purchase or Your Humongous Cellar.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
The bolded part is boorish.

And apparently you enjoy it, but a significant number of others? How do you know?

I'd say posting a question as an "inquiring mind" about at topic then insulting one of the truthful responses is equally boorish. Or was your question merely a way to disguise your disdain for such pictures?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Seems like that's what been done here for quite some time. So just following sit occasionally. I think I've posted a photo of my tin cellar once. Some people post theirs frequently which seems rather silly but it doesn't bother me and I don't care either. Acquisitions and cellars were frequent topics for conversation here. No surprise people post photos. Not sure why it would bother anyone.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
There is an “Everybody look at me!!” aspect to some of the posts that can be off putting. That being said, a lot of people seem to enjoy seeing other people’s cellars, I suspect mostly newer folks.
Besides, the guys that have a pile of tobacco (or fine pipes for that matter) rarely post images.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't mind these "show me" threads. They're kind of interesting. Not that I'm going display pictures of my cellar. I have zero interest in doing that. Besides, mine would be rather boring, just a stack of bins, and boxes piled in closets. Boring. Pipes, especially vintage pipes, are another thing altogether.

I do enjoy seeing how some have created alters to their holdings, tastefully arranged in display cases with nice lighting, that sort of thing.

As for the reasons that people show their cellars? I imagine the reasons are varied, from an honest pleasure in sharing a mutually enjoyed pastime to dick wagging, and all points in between.

smokey789

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Western Pennsylvania
I like looking at them because I see the styles others like. I really get a great idea of good blends when those are posted. What I think is most helpful is when folks tell us abut the pipes and their history or how they found them. I also enjoy folks talking about the blend they smoke in it, it's characteristics and room note.

I understand where op is coming from, but I can look past any arrogance and patronization. Apparently, they can't. Otherwise, it wouldn't be obvious they are showing off.

Who really cares, though? I am who I am. I can't change that, but I can enjoy a pipe and tobacco. Eventually, most of us will either have to switch to marijuana or nothing. Tobacco seems to be worse than marijuana, to those in charge of our liberties. Oh, they are now, freedoms given by the state.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm forever humoured by guys on certain wristwatch forums who likely as not like to post pictures of them wearing their latest purchase.....whilst sat in a car with the branding of the vehicle being clearly visible which invariably is a Merc, BMW or some such supposedly desired vehicle.

For some reason, over the years I have found Americans love to flaunt their real or perceived wealth in whatever manner they can, invariably in as a brash a way as possible. There has to be a reason for this.

The sociologist (I did study the subject to degree level) in me thinks that perhaps many folks feel insecure for a variety of reasons. Some perhaps came from less wealthy origins or maybe like to inflate their possessions simply to impress their peers. That I grant you is simplifying matters.

Whatever their reasoning, I find this rather fascinating. Well done John for asking the question!

Regards,

Jay.?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd say posting a question as an "inquiring mind" about at topic then insulting one of the truthful responses is equally boorish. Or was your question merely a way to disguise your disdain for such pictures?

I hope I didn't insult the guy who posted that response, but just underscored the boorish motives for some of those posts. Yes, those posts which are simply bragging or repeated ad naseum are in bad form.

Those who post for the edification and pleasure of others are the good guys. Thanks for the replies.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
First of all, with a thread title like this I was a bit disappointed not to find any photos of latest purchases or cellars... ;)

Secondly, there are probably various reasons why peoples share photos of their purchases and cellars. I've noticed this is a common thread on other forums as well (bladeforums for example).

I think that at least in part there is a sort of looking for 'acceptance' for lack of a better word for ones excessive purchasing behaviours. A sort of needing to feel normal for having spent so much on something that to outsiders might feel like something so trivial.

I've never felt like this necessarily had anything to do with showing of one's wealth, but more with a desire to feel normal for the things you spend your money on (particularly knowing that your partner may not feel the same).

I for one quite enjoy seeing people's cellars and latest purchases. Being in Australia it is a form or living vicariously through some of the other forum members (sometimes with a fair bit of envy ;)).

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Truthfully I find the "What Are You Smoking" thread more pointless and distracting than any cellar posts. It's a myopic thread where nobody actually talks to one another (probably because few people actually care what anyone else is smoking). What's worse is that it single-handedly pollutes the search engine results for this site. Search on any brand or blend name looking for information and 99 percent of the results end up being from What Are You Smoking and offer no useful information whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.