Your Very Large Purchase or Your Humongous Cellar.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I have one person that I know who lives near me and smokes a pipe. The rest of the people I associate with about pipe smoking are on here and I’m excited about what I’ve obtained, interested in showing others for feedback since I don’t really know what the hell I’m doing, and, as has happened in the past, perhaps spawn a trade, or two.

1. I like looking at and appreciate them
2. I like when others look at and appreciate mine
3. It starts very interesting conversations
4. I get some unique perspective from other people who are very different from me

To stir up the pot a little -

I love when people believe that tobacco is an investment/insurance for the future - OTOH I see a well diversified portfolio in the stock market will allow you to buy the same tobacco in the future and still have some loose change to spend on pipes ?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I love when people believe that tobacco is an investment/insurance for the future - OTOH I see a well diversified portfolio in the stock market will allow you to buy the same tobacco in the future and still have some loose change to spend on pipes ?
Maybe, maybe not.
what if they ban all internet sales, shipping of all tobacco, and non-licensed face to face sales? Where will you get these blends? You’ll be relegated to whatever 3 pipe tobaccos your B&M (if you have one) decides to carry.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier

Find me a few stocks that are guaranteed to double in value in 3-4 years and I’ll invest.

Meanwhile, my tobacco “investment” has done better than my portfolio YTD in 2020 ?.

Kidding aside, I know what you mean. But, the stock market lacks the benefit of private sales affecting prices. E.g. stories of people walking into a random B&M and seeing 20+ year old tins on the shelf with the same price tag from the day they were put up there.

It’s all how you spin it, right? I routinely see stuff selling on Pipestud’s website for $90-$100 a tin, knowing I have PILES of them in my (very young) cellar that I paid less than $15/tin for. I’d be hard-pressed to find a stock, or any market-based investment mechanism, for that matter, that can (legally) generate such immediate and guaranteed returns.

That said - I didn’t buy a single one of them as an investment into anything other than enjoyment. Some of the older/rarer things I have were purchased simply to share with friends when the time comes. If I can spend a few bucks and create camaraderie and fellowship, why I’d say that’s better than any form of monetary ROI.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
Maybe, maybe not.
what if they ban all internet sales, shipping of all tobacco, and non-licensed face to face sales? Where will you get these blends? You’ll be relegated to whatever 3 pipe tobaccos your B&M (if you have one) decides to carry.
This would be a sort of nightmare. Since I'm new at pipe smoking I'm sure I'll live, but I wouldn't like this.

Going by the “What If “ scenario, I would think that Pipe Tobacco becomes a big money spinner for B&Ms, and they start carrying a wider selection. ?
Maybe, maybe not.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
For me, in any hobby or undertaking, it’s excitement about what I just got, and I guess I like sharing it with other people who are into the same thing. I like it when other people share their excitement too, it’s as if I get to vicariously participate in their excitement. This is especially true for anything where there’s some sort of artistic appreciation or, like, a shared “culture” of sorts.

Of course, this behavior does seem comical or weird to people who aren’t super into doing that sort of thing. Like, I mean, I love Reese’s peanut butter cups, but they’re just a thing I like to eat. I’d think it was a bit weirdballs if people posted pics of the tasty goober cups they just bought from the corner 7-11, and I certainly wouldn’t be posting on a forum about goober cups.

I imagine there’s a bunch of pipe smokers who think pipe collectors and enthusiasts who get excited on forums are weirdos who need to tone it down a notch because pipe smoking is just something they do, not some kind of big deal hobby.

In many cases, however, these same people will then go on to squee just as enthusiastically about their latest on a forum about fly fishing, stamp collecting, musical instruments, cars, antique picking, ham radio, or whatever. Everybody’s got a thing or two that they’re super into and want to share with others, a whole bunch of things they just kinda quietly enjoy, and some things they straight up hate.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
This would be a sort of nightmare. Since I'm new at pipe smoking I'm sure I'll live, but I wouldn't like this.

Maybe, maybe not.

This would not be explained why we post pics of our purchases, but it does explain why we cellar

Status
Not open for further replies.