PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

storm

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
Thank you for all the input. I think I will treat myself to a CW.
Ideally I'll find a local shop that carries a few. I'd like to see how they feel in my hands and judge the length. But if I can't, I may order one from Iwan Ries, they do have a nice selection of pipes. Thanks for the tip there.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Here's a picture of my Stanwell HCA. This particular one has a really nice look, but it's taking a while to get used to smoking it. It has a narrow, deep bowl, and since it's a straight pipe, it's pretty difficult to keep an eye on what's going on in there...
Very nice! This is exactly the model I want.

storm

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
Got an Iwan Ries churchwarden and had my first chance to use it yesterday evening. Man - that is a nice smoke!
Very happy.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Got an Iwan Ries churchwarden and had my first chance to use it yesterday evening. Man - that is a nice smoke!
We need a picture Storm.

So we can smoke it vicariously.

I have had 3 for a very long time, and just acquired a MM cob churchwarden.

I love them all.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I just wanted to add a note of caution. My churchwardens rarely leave home, they can be a problem to carry. The weakest point of any pipe is usually the tenon, if a pipe is going to crack this is where it will happen. Churchwardens, because of their design, are particularly vulnerable in this area. If you're going to be transporting a churchwarden anywhere, even a short distance, always remove the stem first.
If, like me, you frequently empty pipes by tapping out against your palm or an ashtray, never hold it by the stem when you tap it out. Hold it by the shank and tap gently.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I never tap or hit my pipes against my shoe to empty it. Seems like a bad idea for any pipe.

ilitch

Lurker
Aug 10, 2010
I have a BigBen´s CW. It´s a BB26-110. It´s the best choice for a reading.

Unfortunately i don´t have pictures in the moment. I´ll post them soon as a take the pictures. And i would to ask you to forgive the bad shape of my english.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I would love to own CW; however, I was wondering if it is possible to take a different pipe and just add a longer stem? I have a bent bob which is small and light that I believe would make a good CW.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Absolutely!

I have 3 CWs that are just as you describe.

All three were 20 bucks or less and I just got my Local B&M to send them off for the longest stems they could put on them. I have had them for at least 15 to 20 years.
Here is the result:
DSCF2139-1.jpg

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Thanks pstlpkr. I am interested in doing this. However, how much on average does it cost for a longer stem? I had heard upwards of $25 or so. This seems kind of odd to spend more than the pipe is worth on a stem.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I think I paid about $20 for each.
Just remember.... economy of scale.

I have had them for around 20 years.

And, pumped pounds of great tobacco through each of them.
Just, make sure you have a decent pipe to start with.

It doesn't have to be a great pipe, the bottom pipe in the picture is a Wilmer.

They are no longer made, and the price for a Wilmer pipe is way up, way beyond my $40 investment.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Hmm well it has the dreaded "gap", or whatever the technical term is, at the bottom of the bowl. I am not too familiar with pipe lingo yet but it is where the hole is farther up than the absolute bottom of the bowl. Idk if this is a real big problem but I just hear you want it as close as possible. And very nice about the Wilmer. I always enjoy hearing stories like that.

storm

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
Pictures...
My digicam burned out a while back and I've not yet bothered to replace it, but I'll see what I can do. Don't rush me!
The bowl did look small at first, but I think that was an illusion. I compared it directly to my traditional billiard and it's about the same size.
I wasn't planning on taking my new CW any farther afield than my backyard or the rocking chairs on my front porch where I can sit and watch boats go by on the river. For smoking while out-and-about I bought a few MM Cobs. The Diplomat is especially nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.