PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

storm

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
Churchwardens look interesting and I was thinking of buying an affordable one to try them out.
But... they could be kind of awkward too. And possibly easy to break.
Would anybody like to share their thoughts and opinions on them? Do they continue to appeal after the novelty has worn off?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Storm,

I like them. I don't smoke mine while walking around, and I have never broken one. They lend themselves to that quiet smoke in your easy chair.

Way-back-when; I wanted a Dunhill Churchwarden but I couldn't swing the cash. So I opted for a very small basket pipe. It was a Wilmer Lightweight, made in London. It was maybe four inches long, including the stem. I think I spent around $10 for it. I had my tobacconist send it off for as long a stem as could be fitted. That was around 1976. I have since done that two more times. I probably have no more than $100 in all three.

I thoroughly enjoy all three immensely. I just recently traded for a MM cob Churchwarden which I have enjoyed as much as the others.

Moral of the story, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to acquire a churchwarden, and they are worth every penny and then some.

I tend to smoke latakia blends in them, but the cob lends itself to aromatics.

I recommend you satisfy that PAD as soon as you can.
The Wilmer Lightweight is the bottom of the three.

DSCF2139-1.jpg

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Churchwardens can give a very dry, cool smoke. They're definitely an armchair type of pipe, the length makes it a little hard to carry around. Try to find one with fairly thick walls, the vast majority have very thin walls to reduce weight.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I'll give you some of my newbie insights into churchwardens (which will be referred to as CW here on out). I own 3 (technically 4, but it is a miniature CW, so I don't count it.) CW's and smoke 2 regularly. The 3rd was an impulse purchase on ebay and is so cheap, it stays in the nice box it came in.
I like my CW's and they smoke well if a little wet. This seems (at least to me and from what I've read on the internet) to be normal, and not a real problem as long as you have pipe cleaners long enough to get to the chamber. I prefer bents to straights because when the bowl is right out in front of you, you can't see where your flame is going and run the risk of scorching your rim.
If you really want to try one out, I suggest trying a cheap one from Iwan Ries.
Jason

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Two of my five pipes are chuchwardens, but each of them came with a short stem as well, so they can be smoked either way. They definitely are not a convenient smoke. You can't really do anything but sit and enjoy the smoke, since one hand will be occupied with supporting the pipe, unless you've got a titanium bit and jaws of steel... or a belly big enough to rest it on. :-D
My wife bought me my first for the aesthetic, and it still is my go-to pipe for escaping to Middle Earth or the quiet of the Two Rivers, but I like the ease of a short pipe that I can clench when I need my hands for something else.
Simon

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Good timing with this thread. I've been pondering getting one too. Does any of you have experiences with the Stanwell Hans Christian Andersen ones (they come with two stems)?

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I have 5 and love them. I don't think you can go wrong with a CW do to the fact they smoke the same as a normal briar just cooler. If you like the look of the longer stem then your going to like it when you get it. I have 1 Peterson's, 1 Johs, 2 MacQueens, and 1 Hans Christian Anderson. I would not recommend going with Macqueens due to the fact they are hit or miss. One of mine smokes great after I did a little work to it, but the other get clogged non stop and smokes extremely wet(I have herd this comment a lot from other buyers as well). I personally like a larger bowl so I plan on getting another Johs due to the fact they have normal size bowls. Or you can due just what Pstlpkr said and mod your own.
I like my Hans Christian Anderson. Its a cutty shape and does great smoking flakes and I enjoy smoking them in the CW stem.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Yes, the Stanwell Hans Christian Andersen comes with two stems. Here's a couple of photos I took in New Orleans at the show last week.
stanwell-hans-christian-andersen.jpg

Here's the case with the lid closed. It is "The Flying Suitcase".
flying-suitcase.jpg

An interesting thing I learned while talking to Stanwell was when he referred to the Churchwarden pipe as a "reading pipe". Apparently, that was the original purpose of the Churchwarden, so when you look down at the book in your lap, the smoke doesn't go in your eyes.
That actually happens sometimes if I have my laptop in my lap and I look down to type.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
That case is really nice. I usually smoke a pipe while sitting on the sofa, watching TV or reading and I've never got into the habit of clenching it between my teeth so I imagine a churchwarden would suit me pretty well.
I've also looked into some nice meerschaum churchwardens but they are very expensive.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I have two CW's. One is a small bowled Petersonin kind of a long Prince shape. The other is a big WDC with a ODA+ sized bowl. The small one is dedicated to ropes and the big one is for English blends. The both smoke cool and dry. I had the Peterson for about three years and the WDC for about 10 years. I still reach for them when the mood strikes.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I have a macqueen lost in the mail somewhere when I get it I will let you know how it is. My issue so far is the waiting period to get the sucker. It was ordered on the 14th of June from the company. With that said some of our advertisers do carry them and if you like the rustic/fantasy look of the Mac Queens I would suggest searching them first so you get the product quicker and from what I have seen cheaper.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Does any of you have experiences with the Stanwell Hans Christian Andersen ones (they come with two stems)?
Here's a picture of my Stanwell HCA. This particular one has a really nice look, but it's taking a while to get used to smoking it. It has a narrow, deep bowl, and since it's a straight pipe, it's pretty difficult to keep an eye on what's going on in there...
Stanwell HCA in classicgeek's photo album
But I'm getting the hang of it. My last bowl of Frog Morton on the Town in this pipe was hassle-free. Yes, it came with two stems. Mine didn't come in a case like the one Kevin posted: just a simple black tube with "Stanwell Hans Christian Andersen" on it.
Simon

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Simon, Kevin,
Those are some beautiful pipes.
I still reach for them when the mood strikes.

It's the same with me. They are not in my regular rotation, but I can't imagine not having a CW in my collection. It's just one of those pipes that is a must have for pipe smokers.
As for the bowl size and descriptions mentioned above. As a matter of aesthetics, I think a small bowl is the way to go. However, there is something to be said for the duration afforded by a large bowl. But, then again CW's are go-slow pipes and a hot bowl shouldn't be an issue.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Well I went to buy the CW today and someone had already bought it. :( They did have this one pipe that I would call a "mini-churchwarden" and it was $20 so I thought I would buy it and try this one out, it is pretty much a basket CW.
IMG_2570.jpg

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
@Duncan

I have a macqueen lost in the mail somewhere when I get it I will let you know how it is. My issue so far is the waiting period to get the sucker. It was ordered on the 14th of June from the company.

Be prepared to wait up to 3 months my friend. If it takes longer than 8 weeks contact them, they are pretty speedy at responding and they have a live chat system. My order actually got lost in the mail somewhere or lost in there facility and they gave me a $50 gift code to get anything I want for the inconvenience. They are slow as all get out to get the pipe to you but it will eventually get there LOL.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Surf,
I contacted about a week ago and they said it was shipping that day. He upgraded the shipping for the hassle. I have to give them an A for effort and keeping customers happy.
Wade

Status
Not open for further replies.