Your Suggestions and Tips Have Helped! (Few More Questions Though)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
So...I do have a question about that, especially the tobacco being loose. I thought It wasn't supposed to draw too easy? Not packed or tight obviously, but a little packed? Jeez this is confusing! I'll get it. I'm sticking with this.

Well, two things happen as you smoke a bowl of tobacco. First, the tobacco expands as it gets heated so that, what was initially a loose draw, gets 'tighter' as the smoke progresses. And, two, as you tamp, the tobacco gets compressed.

Because of these two things, starting very loose (i.e. looser than you think necessary) is important -- especially with Virginias.

Try it, I think you'll agree. Good luck!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So...I do have a question about that, especially the tobacco being loose. I thought It wasn't supposed to draw too easy? Not packed or tight obviously, but a little packed? Jeez this is confusing! I'll get it. I'm sticking with this.
tight enough that it will burn the next layer of leaves and not so tight it is work to draw. Again no precise levels try out different things until it clicks. Then eventually you'll wonder why it was ever hard with how natural it gets.

SouthernGuy

Lurker
May 7, 2020
North East Louisiana
tight enough that it will burn the next layer of leaves and not so tight it is work to draw. Again no precise levels try out different things until it clicks. Then eventually you'll wonder why it was ever hard with how natural it gets.

Sometimes I think I've packed it too tight, because it keeps going out. But it may not be dry enough as well. I'm loving this though....very relaxing, doubt I'll be smoking very many cigars now.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I'm in the "drier the better" camp. I probably relight more than most, but I've found if my pipe starts to get warm I prefer to let it go out and cool down before relighting than to try to keep smoking slower.
Another thing- I struggled with slow smoking and breath smoking at first because "slow down" doesn't really mean anything to a new smoker. It made more sense for me to think of it as holding the smoke in my mouth for as long as possible. If you do that, not only will you not be able to puff as fast or as much, but you'll also taste the smoke much more. Hold a mouth full of smoke while you breathe through your nose. It may seem like too much. It is. Try to hold less in your mouth, longer. Blow it out through the pipe to keep the ember going. Don't puff but breathe through your nose and your mouth will refill with smoke automatically. You may find yourself trying to keep even less smoke flowing from the pipe into your mouth while you nose-breathe. That's usually a sign you're doing something right.
Right now, if it seems like the bowl is burning good and tasting good it's probably actually on the verge of getting too hot, so try not to puff even if it seems like the pipe is inviting you to... it's a dirty trick!
As a rule, the flavors are always best when you let them come to you instead of chasing them.
puffy

jaxonlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
Butte, Montana, USA
SouthernGuy, it sounds like you're dedicated and loving it. That's terrific! That main thing I have found is to change only one variable at a time, observe your results, and continue from there. This crazy hobby of ours can have a steep learning curve out of the starting gate; steep but short. Afterwards, it is just fine tuning for new blends and new pipes. The key, in all things, is to relax and enjoy yourself.

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
I'm going for the Carter Hall camp too. Learning how to smoke and not torching your mouth was the first priority for me and to some degree still is. Learn how to pack, light, and tamp in a way that you can get through a smoke of CH without too many relights (what is too many I don't know...I am still at least 5 relights a lot of times). I call this a baseline tobacco. It is known to be forgiving in the bite department, but it also provides a lot of feedback to learn from. It will burn too hot if you do it all wrong (bowl will be hot), it will go out way too often if you do it wrong, you won't taste anything (no nutty essence of the burly) if you do it wrong. But...you won't wait a week for your mouth to heal to try again and again. The more I smoke CH, the more I appreciate it and yes, enjoy it. It is becoming my 'don't think too much' smoke where Old Dublin is my more contemplative smoke. Both are forgiving and never punish me.

Reactions: SouthernGuy

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Slow down. Sip, don't puff. This should be entertaining even if there is some work involved, not serious work. You're looking for the enjoyment.
A pipe warmer than just a bit warm and tongue bite are indicators of smoking too fast. As monotonous as it is hearing to smoke slowly, I would say it to you again, but I won't, as I'm just that kind of guy.

mso's take is well-stated.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some pipes have thin walls, and some briar conducts heat more readily than others.

Damp tobacco smokes hotter than dry, as you have to burn hotter to dispel the moisture.

I've had perfectly good smokes when the bowl was too hot to hold comfortably.

Guppy

Might Stick Around
Sep 6, 2019
Texas
Pack loose and work your way up. You can always tamp. For blends like Captain Black you can pretty much gravity fill. If you are used to cigars, "puffing" a pipe is more akin to breathing as far as the force required than actual drawing, very little effort is required if you pack it light.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Usually, the thicker the walls of the bowl, the cooler the outside of the bowl feels to the hand. With most pipes, it feels slightly warm but not hot. With some pipes, like clay pipes, the bowl is usually too hot to hold, so you hold it by the shank. With thin bowled briar pipes, if you smoke them slowly, they will usually remain cool enough to hold the bowl.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you know what a fresh tin of a Samuel Gawith is like then you know it i sopping wet. It needs to be dried a g 4 -5 hours. In my opinion the best available blend that has the perfect amount of humidity is Capstan Blue Flake. It has just the right amount of humidity which makes it perfect for folding and stuffing.
I do things differently than some, the same as others. I would go on like and learn how to fold and stuff a flake especially the Capstan Blue.

I would buy a good pipe, a Savielli no filter a straight Billiard, Dublin or Apple. I believe that getting a good pipe in the beginning it will give you a good baseline for future pipes.

oh, that clown that calls himself hoosierpipeguy knows jack shit. Ignore him completely, he is our resident moron who we use as a kind of mascot. His mother unfortunately dropped him on his head multiple times.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
An issue you will likely encounter with many aromatic tobaccos, particularly with American-made ones, is that they tend to have very high levels propylene glycol (PG) humectant which ate added to reduce the rate of drying. I think this is largely due to the fact that they are most commonly sold from bulk jars, rather than sold in tins. This makes drying the tobacco more difficult and time-consuming.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

Peter S.

Lurker
May 30, 2020
Usually, the thicker the walls of the bowl, the cooler the outside of the bowl feels to the hand. With most pipes, it feels slightly warm but not hot. With some pipes, like clay pipes, the bowl is usually too hot to hold, so you hold it by the shank. With thin bowled briar pipes, if you smoke them slowly, they will usually remain cool enough to hold the bowl.
To cause damage like "burnout", should the pipe be too hot, or slightly warm can too?
I never smoked to the point where it was difficult to hold the pipe, but I already felt hot. When it happens, I change the cadence immediately. I don't believe that it can cause harm with this practice.
What do you think?