Your Suggestions and Tips Have Helped! (Few More Questions Though)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

SouthernGuy

Lurker
May 7, 2020
North East Louisiana
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

So I joined the forums a few days ago, my biggest complaint was that my pipe taste burnt? Just not a good experience at all.
I had lots of replies mostly suggesting that I make sure to dry the tobacco, don't over pack the pipe and take my time.
I've tried all of those and it has greatly improved my experience.
However, my bowl still gets hot....I feel like I'm not smoking too fast, but apparently I am?
If I slow down, it goes out. And I have to relight, which seems to heat it up.
Should the bowl be hot at all? Warm? Cool?

Still get tongue bite sometimes or a bad taste.

I'm guessing it might be my tobacco choices, I've thus far only smoked aromatics....which I'm finding out is a bit of a challenge.
I literally left one of these out all night and most of the next day to dry, and it was still a little moist to the touch. Didn't smoke well in my opinion.

I tried putting some in the microwave for about 10 seconds. It seems to help some. Should I do more time?
This is some serious work!
But I'm not giving up!

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rushx9

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
If the pipe gets more than 'warm' most would agree that it is probably one or both of smoking too fast and the formulation of the tobacco. The pipe matters some. And if it is warm or hot, your experience will be less that optimal.

Most aros have additives that tend to burn hotter, some tobacco types tend to bite more.

Drying, for me, is no more than letting the tobacco sit out of the tin or container for a while. There seems to be a wide range of preference for how dry tobacco should be. Some aros never really feel dry, the additives attract moisture from the atmosphere. I find some of them (Molte Dolce) to feel greasy even no matter what I do.

I prefer to keep my pipe lit, as relighting sometimes gives me a bad taste, so the way I keep my pipe lit is to pay close attention to how dry the tobacco is before starting out (pretty dry but packable without crumbling), how I pack it in the pipe (about three gravity fills and lightly tamped between the three fills with a twist of the tobacco as it goes in the pipe) and I continue to tamp lightly as I smoke in order to keep the lit tobacco in contact with the unlit tobacco. Or you can just relight every once in a while - no big deal.

There, I have given away (nearly) all my "secrets." Keep at it!

Last edited:

SouthernGuy

Lurker
May 7, 2020
North East Louisiana
If the pipe gets more than 'warm' most would agree that it is probably one or both of smoking too fast and the formulation of the tobacco. The pipe matter some. And if it is warm or hot, your experience will be less that optimal.

Most aros have additives that tend to burn hotter, some tobaccos tend to smoke hotter.

Drying, for me, is no more than letting the tobacco sit out of the tin or container for a while. There seems to be a wide range of preference for how dry tobacco is to smoke. Some aros never really feel dry, the additives attract moisture from the atmosphere. I find some of them (Molte Dolce) to feel greasy even.

I prefer to keep my pipe lit, as relighting sometimes gives me a bad taste, so the way I keep my pipe lit is to pay close attention to how dry the tobacco is before starting out (pretty dry but packable without crumbling), how I pack it in the pipe (about three gravity fills and lightly tamped between the three fills with a twist of the tobacco as it goes in the pipe) and I continue to tamp lightly as I smoke in order to keep the lit tobacco in contact with the unlit tobacco. Or you can just relight every once in a while - no big deal.

There, I have given away (nearly) all my "secrets." Keep at it!

Thanks for suggestions!
So, when you dry tobacco, you just let it sit out for a while? Does the length of time change with different tobaccos?
I'm guessing it does. I've tried a few different ones lately but I'm drawn to Captain Black Reg, and Stanwell vanilla. I've ordered some Prince Albert, hopefully that will be a change in the right direction.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
Thanks for suggestions!
So, when you dry tobacco, you just let it sit out for a while? Does the length of time change with different tobaccos?
I'm guessing it does. I've tried a few different ones lately but I'm drawn to Captain Black Reg, and Stanwell vanilla. I've ordered some Prince Albert, hopefully that will be a change in the right direction.

Exactly, just let is sit out for a bit. Just for comparison, try something like Escudo. I find that it is almost impossible to make it bite even smoking it fast. It may not be your cup of tea, but it is interesting to discover what a good quality non-aro smokes like and then you can experiment with what you like and see if you can replicate the experience with your choice. I don't like giving advice as a rule, but that is what I would say if you asked...

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So I joined the forums a few days ago, my biggest complaint was that my pipe taste burnt? Just not a good experience at all.
I had lots of replies mostly suggesting that I make sure to dry the tobacco, don't over pack the pipe and take my time.
I've tried all of those and it has greatly improved my experience.
However, my bowl still gets hot....I feel like I'm not smoking too fast, but apparently I am?
If I slow down, it goes out. And I have to relight, which seems to heat it up.
Should the bowl be hot at all? Warm? Cool?

Still get tongue bite sometimes or a bad taste.

I'm guessing it might be my tobacco choices, I've thus far only smoked aromatics....which I'm finding out is a bit of a challenge.
I literally left one of these out all night and most of the next day to dry, and it was still a little moist to the touch. Didn't smoke well in my opinion.

I tried putting some in the microwave for about 10 seconds. It seems to help some. Should I do more time?
This is some serious work!
But I'm not giving up!

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance.
instead of thinking slowing down, think sip it like it's the most expensive and bestest whiskey ever made. Long slow sips.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Take the dry time suggestions with a grain of salt.

Where one person lives may be dryer or more humid than your locale, causing different results.

I usually suggest majorly "over-drying" some tobacco and working your way back from there until you find your "sweet spot."

Then, after you think you've got it, you'll realize that it's different for the next blend! puffy

1589488831056.png

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Does the length of time change with different tobaccos?
Oh yeah! It will depend on the original moisture level, cut, component tobaccos, added ingredients, and other factors. A common suggestion is the tobacco should feel dry, but still have some spring to it, and not crumble when compressed with your fingers. This was one of the hardest things to get dialed in when I was super new but it will happen if you stick with it and experiment

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Take the dry time suggestions with a grain of salt.

Where one person lives may be dryer or more humid than your locale, causing different results.

I usually suggest majorly "over-drying" some tobacco and working your way back from there until you find your "sweet spot."

Then, after you think you've got it, you'll realize that it's different for the next blend! puffy

View attachment 29808
Exactamundo. ?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Oh yeah! It will depend on the original moisture level, cut, component tobaccos, added ingredients, and other factors. A common suggestion is the tobacco should feel dry, but still have some spring to it, and not crumble when compressed with your fingers. This was one of the hardest things to get dialed in when I was super new but it will happen if you stick with it and experiment
Some tobaccos are actually better when they are crumbly IMO

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
So...I do have a question about that, especially the tobacco being loose. I thought It wasn't supposed to draw too easy? Not packed or tight obviously, but a little packed? Jeez this is confusing! I'll get it. I'm sticking with this.
Different strokes for different folks here, too. You'll get it with some trial and error. Personally, I don't want any resistance because I prefer an open draw. I don't press down on the tobacco at all. For most ribbon cuts and broken flake, I just make a funnel into the pipe with one hand, drop some tobacco in it with the other, and then lightly tap the side of the bowl until it settles in. Remove the excess from the top and spark it up. Voila! BUT, you may find that you prefer to jam as much tobacco in there as you can make fit. Only one way to find out.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Agree on trying some non aromatics. Buy a tub of Carter Hall. The stuff is dry, packs easily, burns easily and tastes decent. See how that works for you. Then expand out to some straight tobacco blends from there.
Yes I'd also recommend Carter Hall.

Although I enjoy most genres, I simply do not like moist, goopy aromatics [nor lat-bombs for that matter] They will smoke too hot.
Captain Black is one blend that's rumoured to have PG added [propylene glycol] which is used to stop tobacco from drying out as it sits on a shelf for ages.

When I first started ordering tobacco online, I ordered a few blends that were way too moist and a touch too aromatic.
The simple solution was to blend in Windsail Virginia which is rather dry, so it's great for balancing a blend that is too moist.

A 1lb bag of Windsail is around $20usd. It's not bad straight but is an excellent blending tobacco.