Your Significant Other’s Preferred Blend?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh J. Alan Pipes
New Cigars
2 Fresh Silver Gray Pipes
New Accessories
24 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
In the summer time, I tend to smoke outside and bask in our mild Mediterranean climate here in southern Oregon. As the days of sunshine depart and the clouds move in to unpack their luggage of fog and rain, I migrate my puffing indoors. I generally only smoke a handful of c&d va/burley blends indoors but on the few occasions I’ve ventured into va/per territory (think lots of perique like Windjammer and Bayou Morning Flake), I’ve glanced over to see my wife’s beautiful face furrowed in disgust at the assault on her nostrils. She then kindly asks me to smoke “what I normally smoke” so, I dump the pipe, pack a fresh bowl of burley or Virginia, and plop back on the couch to watch TV with her while she knits.

Well, a few weeks ago I popped a tin of SWR Aromatic. I packed a pipe as we sat around the table having a conversation and, much to my astonishment, upon lighting the bowl I looked up to find a look of disgust trumping that of a blend with 25% perique. I laughed and explained to her that it was an aromatic and that it was supposed to smell good, but that it clearly didn’t. We had a good laugh about it, I went back to my Pegasus, and we continued our conversation. Fortunately for me, the blends that I enjoy the most are the blends that she best tolerates. Not enjoying the pungent smell of perique is understandable, but I was truly shocked that she didn’t enjoy the smell SWR aromatic. Do you have any good stories about the preferred room notes of your significant other?

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Mine is fully supportive of the whole pipe/tobacco thing, and even joins me with a cigarillo here and there. I always offer her a puff of whatever I'm having, an offer which she seems to take me up on about half the time. She enjoys the room note of most blends nearly as much as the tin note, but I have noticed some room note patterns.

VaPers are hit and miss. She can't stand the smell of HH Acadian Perique, but is totally fine with Sutliff Match Victorian, for example. VAs and Englishes are all pretty much a hit...aromatics are mostly a hit, but just occasionally there's a real stinker. Fortunately, I have simultaneously agreed with her on these occasions, so there's that. Besides Acadian Perique, the biggest thumbs down (so far) have gone to CAO Eileen's Dream, Captain Black Grape, and Half & Half.

She loves all my VA flakes across the board, so that's all that matters, ultimately.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Nothing really. My wife hates that I smoke cigars and pipes and would prefer that I only smoke a pipe, as in her opinion it's the better of the two options. She can't stand the smell of my cigars. For years she wouldn't even sit outside with me, but in the past couple years she has tolerated my cigars and pipes, though she won't sit down wind from me. If I'm smoking in the shop she won't hang out there with me. Even if I'm smoking an aromatic like 1Q or Trout Stream she won't do it. She hates the smell, and the smoke irritates her. Even with it being vented outside. As much as I enjoy spending time with my wife, I do like my solitude while hanging out in the shop.

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
I am blessed with a wife who, over 41 years, has liked every blend I’ve used. And I’ve tried many over those years, and to this day,a variety of straight Virginia, VaPers, and English/Balkans. The only aromatics I like are Autumn Evening and Jolly Old St. Nicholas.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I recall my grandfather emptying his pockets onto the hall table at day’s end…

Among those items were two cotton balls, a nose plug and a package of condoms.

When he saw my look of inquisitiveness… he responded.

“There are two things I simply can’t stand: the sound of a women screaming and the smell of burning rubber.”

Pop! Fucking Legend!

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
My family often expresses delight at VAs, esp. the sweeter ones.
Whereas many latakia mixtures elicit an "for future reference I think you should consider that one an outdoor tobacco."

So it's weird that the tobacco they rave about most exuberantly is a crossover latakia: Boswell's Northwoods.
Boy do they adore that one. They say that it smells like toasting marshmallows.

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand
My dear lady doesn’t like any of them. She is not a fan of me smoking, although when I first started she did let herself slip and I once heard a “that does smell nice” (McB Symphony).
When I started with pipes she undoubtedly thought I wouldn’t stick at it, being one of my passing phases……the office half filled with mason jars is testament to the fact that she was indeed wrong!
While on the topic, my crowning glory was brokering a deal where I can smoke in my office in trade for my wife getting a nice breed of cat. Still can’t believe I wrangled that one!