PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
OK, I recently made a post that was entitled Your Own "Worst" Tobacco and lots of people replied, and I got some great answers.
Now I am interested in your best tobacco! If you found out that you were going to be stranded on a desert island for 10 years and could take an endless supply of only one tobacco what would you take?
Mine would probably be a Boswell's Military Force.
Can I just have a 10 year endless supply of HH Virginia Flake, and we just forget about the island? 😂

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
OP did not specify that it has to be “made today”. I’m curious what your answer would be disregarding era of manufacture.
Well that's a different story, though perhaps not.

While the level of quality of blends from, say, 30 years ago and before, the leaf, blending and processing, are far superior to what's being offered recently, and certainly what's now being offered, that still doesn't mean that I would be completely satisfied with any one of them as my sole smoke. There's a pleasurable thrill from smoking a well preserved blend from decades ago. It's the familiar richness, balance and smoothness of yesteryear. However, very few survivors are well preserved. Buying vintage tins is a craps shoot.

While I smoked a lot of Balkan Sobranie, when it was legitimate, and 759, which I preferred, I wouldn't want either of them as my one smoke.

State Express London Mixture beats the crap out of anything made today, and I wouldn't want it as my one and only. Latakia has a way of wearing out its welcome, even real Latakia, which is by definition, Syrian.

Maybe one of the Rattray's blends, made by Rattray's or by McConnell. Great quality from before everything just became labels.

Maybe Durbar or Royal Yacht, that's Dunhill manufacture. There's little similarity between the actual Dunhill product and the version that STG makes.

Keep in mind that Denmark is where British blends go to die.

Ogden's St Bruno, which is a very different animal from what MacBaren makes (and will soon be made by STG, if they don't discontinue it), has a much richer and more flavorful base than MacBaren's product. St Bruno might be a candidate, the old Ogden's version, but even there I suspect that I would tire of it.

There were a number of blends I smoked years ago, but I don't remember many of them.

The problem for me is that a really great blend requires your attention, really engages your palate, and that wears on me, over time, with every blend I smoke, if I don't switch off between blends. The only antidote might be an OTC blend, since they generally are pleasant, mild, easy to smoke, blends. So maybe Chatham Manor from when it was first released, since it's very like Carter Hall, but without the chemical aftertaste. Or maybe one of the older versions of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, very pleasant and inoffensive.

But probably not.

So I guess my answer is the same.

Auxsender

Lifer
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Well that's a different story, though perhaps not.

While the level of quality of blends from, say, 30 years ago and before, the leaf, blending and processing, are far superior to what's being offered recently, and certainly what's now being offered, that still doesn't mean that I would be completely satisfied with any one of them as my sole smoke. There's a pleasurable thrill from smoking a well preserved blend from decades ago. It's the familiar richness, balance and smoothness of yesteryear. However, very few survivors are well preserved. Buying vintage tins is a craps shoot.

While I smoked a lot of Balkan Sobranie, when it was legitimate, and 759, which I preferred, I wouldn't want either of them as my one smoke.

State Express London Mixture beats the crap out of anything made today, and I wouldn't want it as my one and only. Latakia has a way of wearing out its welcome, even real Latakia, which is by definition, Syrian.

Maybe one of the Rattray's blends, made by Rattray's or by McConnell. Great quality from before everything just became labels.

Maybe Durbar or Royal Yacht, that's Dunhill manufacture. There's little similarity between the actual Dunhill product and the version that STG makes.

Keep in mind that Denmark is where British blends go to die.

Ogden's St Bruno, which is a very different animal from what MacBaren makes (and will soon be made by STG, if they don't discontinue it), has a much richer and more flavorful base than MacBaren's product. St Bruno might be a candidate, the old Ogden's version, but even there I suspect that I would tire of it.

There were a number of blends I smoked years ago, but I don't remember many of them.

The problem for me is that a really great blend requires your attention, really engages your palate, and that wears on me, over time, with every blend I smoke, if I don't switch off between blends. The only antidote might be an OTC blend, since they generally are pleasant, mild, easy to smoke, blends. So maybe Chatham Manor from when it was first released, since it's very like Carter Hall, but without the chemical aftertaste. Or maybe one of the older versions of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, very pleasant and inoffensive.

But probably not.

So I guess my answer is the same.
Right on. Makes sense.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

CamRush

Lurker
Dec 19, 2022
Carolina Red Flake w/Perique it just hits home for me. I know it's nothing fancy, the regular CRF isn't bad but not the same.

I have lots of McClellands and i just don't get the attraction i haven't tried them all but several years of the Xmas Cheer and Anni blends, some the others, same with Esoterica. Glad i a VA / VaPer smoker without complicated needs.
I agree with everything you said here 100 percent. That is an amazing blend.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row” Richmond Virginia USA
1. C&D Exclusive
2. Kramer’s Father Dempsey
3. Bob’s Chocolate Flake
4. Bosun Cut Plug
5. HH Latakia Flake
6. C&D Capt Bob’s Blend
7. Capt Earles Ten Russians
8. Peterson Navy Rolls
9. Capstan Blue
10.Peterson’s Nightcap
In order of personal rank but any or all could flip the bill for me.
But if only one!
C&D Exclusive is the one !

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
This is a bit tricky because for nearly 10 years I’ve mostly smoked a different tobacco every bowl. There have been exceptions where I’ve smoked an entire tin before moving on or spent a week with a blend. I agree with @Skippy B. Coyote, I’m not looking for a favorite. That might get tiring, I love English blends but what if two years in I hit the Latakia wall? I might go with PS LNF.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
So this is not a what do you want for your last meal question, this is a what do you want to eat for dinner for ten years question.

C&D Briar Fox. Maybe Pegasus or Winchester. I’m going to need Burley and Virginia without noticeable flavors. Latakia will wear out its welcome. Aromatics would drive me crazy, I’d really miss the flavor of just tobacco. The condimental tobaccos might wear out their welcome as well.

I reserve the right to change my mind in a few years as I still have some must try blends on my list. This statement is not a legally binding contract.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
Here's another consideration. How often do you smoke. If you are on a dessert island, are you smoking 8 or 12 bowls a day? I'd go with a codger blend. Looking back over my 10 yrs in this game, I'd probably pick SWR.
I haven't tried all the codger blends, but I have tried many. Of the 3 i consider the top 3, PA, CH and SWR, I'd pick the SWR but I'd be okay with the others. A step up would be 5 Brothers.
One or two bowls a day, I would probably choose a 'heavier' blend. Either way...I'd be happy to smoke for10 more years. :sher: