PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I'm going to take a different approach to this question and choose a blend that isn't my favorite tobacco, in fact it's not even in my Top 10 favorites. If I was going to be stranded on a desert island with just one blend to smoke for a decade I think I'd get sick of anything with added flavorings pretty quickly, so aromatics and Lakelands are definitely out as are blends with strongly flavored condimental tobaccos like Perique, Dark Fired Kentucky, or Latakia.

That leaves me with having to select a basic Burley or Virginia mix, and I suppose a little unsweetened Black Cavendish for body would be okay too. With that in mind, I'm going to go with Cornell & Diehl Briar Fox. It's a plain and rather unexciting Virginia/Burley blend (and though it's never mentioned on the label I suspect there's a little unsweetened Black Cavendish in there as well) but it is a pleasantly simple tobacco flavored tobacco with a good middle of the road medium strength nicotine content and an all day smoking friendly smoothness. Though it may be quite basic, I don't think there's anything in here my tastebuds would tire of if it was all I had to smoke for a decade and every time I light it up I always think, "Ahhh, this is what good old plain tobacco tastes like." It should age quite well and keep it's flavor for a decade too.

So there you go, Briar Fox is my pick. Not my favorite smoke, but I doubt I'd get bored of it either.

20240627005733_IMG_6076~3.JPG

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
For me in my world, one of the best things about pipe tobacco is the wonderful variety. Even the differences between, say for example, fresh compared to a year old compared to 4 year old Sutliff Victorian is noticeable. I like the variety way too much to enjoy one single blend for a single day, let alone 10 years.

B.Lew

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 24, 2020
SE Michigan
Stonehenge Flake. It hits all the right notes for me. Lakeland Essence Virginias and Burley. A joyous combo. Therefore there are a handful of G&H blends that fit the similiar bill.

jomiljomil

Lurker
Jun 27, 2024
Northern Illinois
I'm going to take a different approach to this question and choose a blend that isn't my favorite tobacco, in fact it's not even in my Top 10 favorites. If I was going to be stranded on a desert island with just one blend to smoke for a decade I think I'd get sick of anything with added flavorings pretty quickly, so aromatics and Lakelands are definitely out as are blends with strongly flavored condimental tobaccos like Perique, Dark Fired Kentucky, or Latakia.

That leaves me with having to select a basic Burley or Virginia mix, and I suppose a little unsweetened Black Cavendish for body would be okay too. With that in mind, I'm going to go with Cornell & Diehl Briar Fox. It's a plain and rather unexciting Virginia/Burley blend (and though it's never mentioned on the label I suspect there's a little unsweetened Black Cavendish in there as well) but it is a pleasantly simple tobacco flavored tobacco with a good middle of the road medium strength nicotine content and an all day smoking friendly smoothness. Though it may be quite basic, I don't think there's anything in here my tastebuds would tire of if it was all I had to smoke for a decade and every time I light it up I always think, "Ahhh, this is what good old plain tobacco tastes like." It should age quite well and keep it's flavor for a decade too.

So there you go, Briar Fox is my pick. Not my favorite smoke, but I doubt I'd get bored of it either.

View attachment 320238
Now I'm going to have try a bowl of Briar Fox... I think I have a jar that I stoved for 4 hours at 190 deg....

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I keep reading this thread and coming back to it. Hard call for me it seems. It would have to be something not too extreme or palate overloading. Maybe PS LNF in the Va/Per camp. Or a light English like Peterson EMP or Standard Mixture. I suppose I will have to keep thinking about it. Twenty years ago I would have said GLP Renaissance as it was my everyday go to but I don't have a 10 year supply left.

PrivatePiping

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2023
Todd - Boise, ID
Hmm, I think my answer would change every few months. If I had to go now it would likely be Match Victorian or CS Cowboy Coffee. Ask me six months from now and it could be Northwoods or Maltese Falcon.

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
Ten years with the same tobacco? I agree with Coyote, here we need bread and salami and red wine, no caviar and Champagne.
So Capstan.