PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
I enjoy trying new blends, but I have a few that I always keep around, Park-lane Fireside (love the stuff), P.S. Cube Cut, P.S. Proper English and English Luxury and C&D Autumn Evening. :puffy:

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I have been smoking a pipe for many years and subscribe to a philosophy that one should be open to enjoying one's pipes in rotation.

Go to tobacco is always Lane 1Q

But I always try and expand my Go To habit and try other blends, sort of like putting cheap 87 octane gas in a Shelby Cobra auto.

Even a cheap pipe desires 93 high octane now and then.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have 25 blends cellared and will still check out new ones if they fit the flavor profile I enjoy. I love variety and usually have 20-25 blends open at any given time.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
My favorite aspect of our hobby is the great profusion of blends available, so naturally I'm one of those guys who keeps scores of different blends in his cellar and has a dozen or more open at any one time. But there are nonetheless a handful of "desert island" blends that have stood the test of time and that I go back to frequently. Those are:

1) Old Joe Krantz

2) Carter Hall

3) Odyssey

4) Filmore

5) 50-50 mix of Ennerdale and Bosun Cut Plug

6) Northwoods (although this often used as the base for my own personal Balkan blend, which I tweak regularly)

7) Classic Burley Kake

8) Countryside (I used to smoke Gatlinburley every single day, but then the recipe changed and I discovered this concoction from Boswell's is identical to the original GB)
That's a lot of "go to" blends, I suppose, but those are the ones I'm dipping into 90 percent of the time.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'm new to pipe smoking and I'm constantly trying new things. However there are 3 blends that are currently my go to blends. Carter Hall, Rattray's Bagpipers Dream and Escudo. Every order know make I will add something I've never tried.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
Penzance, Squadron Leader and Frog Morton on the Bayou are what I would consider my "go-to" blends. Penzance can be a little tricky to source but I've had good luck keeping my eyes and ears open and buying as much as I can when I can find it. I also try to keep some Escudo on hand for when I'm in a Va/Per mood.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
When I was in the US, I smoked Shortcut to Mushrooms almost exclusively. But now that I am in Malaysia and am very close to a B&M I am trying different blends almost every other week. I do miss the STM, but I find I am leaning towards the Frog Morton series more and more now.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I'm always trying new blends too. My favorites at the moment and a few I've been smoking for over a year now will be,
English Blend - 3 Oaks Syrian, Frog Morton On the Town
Vaper - AJ's Vaper, Dunhill Flake
Aromatic - McClellands Mellow Mack, Stokkebye Golden Dansk

kwilliams40

Might Stick Around
Nov 17, 2013
NY
Boswell's Northwoods

GLP Haddo's Delight

4noggins Bald Headed Teacher

Pipeworks & Wilke #524 and #400

Boswell's PA Dutch Treat

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Im new also, but I keep going through Escudo like nobodies business. In a month I've gone through 6 tins of the stuff. I'm almost out now and I intend to try others considered similar'ish.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I feel like I'm constantly buying small tins of more and more tobacco-. I love having new things on hand for when I'm in the mood, or I'm just not feelin my go to blend. Having a large variety and choices of what I want that day is half the fun of pipe smoking for me. My go to is SPC MR or Escudo/Orlik GS. I have countless other blends from burleys to Vapers to English all depends on my mood. Good Luck !

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
I too buy 1 or 2 ounces at a time for branching out purposes. I do have "go-to"s though. Frog Morton on the Bayou, Scotty's Butternut Burley, Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River and Dunhill Nightcap come to mind.

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Only being just over a year into pipe smoking, I have been trying new tobaccos every time I run out, but have gone on to buy extra tins of Presbyterian and ODF, which I especially liked.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
My go to blend is Edgeworth Ready Rub (Match). Until recently I never had a "go to blend", for me it is everything you want in an everyday smoke. It burns well, smells great, tastes great, buy in bulk and inexpensive. I have 40 oz arriving on Saturday or Monday.

Aug 14, 2012
I have a large and varied stock of tobaccos ageing. But "go to" are two: Bombay Court and Dunhill Standard. Both have Virginia, Lat and Turkish and both are subtle. The Dunhill is stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.