PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Prices at my local B&M are more than twice the online prices (e.g. 24$ for a tin of GLP), but I make it a point to buy something there on a regular basis, at least once a month. It's a city institution, been around forever, and I want to support it and the people who count on it for a living. Once in a long while they get something that's tough to find online, and they don't gouge for it, so it's not always painful.

Reactions: UncleRasta

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
My tobacconist is between work and home. I was just in there yesterday and picked up a 2oz tin of C&D Epiphany for $20.75. Out of curiosity I looked it up on line. Looks like I could have had it for $9.99. I’ll ask the next time I stop for another tin how much of that is taxes and report back.

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
I support my local B&M. But I also refuse to pay stupid prices for things. Pox on those "Do Gooders" that are trying to prevent me from obtaining my tobacco because they are "worried" about my health. It is none of their business.

Jef

Reactions: milehighpiper

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I feel fortunate to have a few B&Ms that have “reasonable” stock of pipes and pipe tobacco. I buy pipes and tobaccos online, from my local B&M and from B&Ms in the US when I travel. At my local B&M I usually buy pipes, unobtanium tobacco and some bulk features. Most of my tobacco is bought online or when travelling in the US. I also buy pipes that way too. Of course, you need to keep in mind a basic bulk blend is about $23/oz and prices go up from there and tins typically start at about $45 for basic blends and go up from there.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
I've learned from this post today and thank you all for chiming in. I already knew why it is important to support B&M's but the differential I saw in tin price threw me for a loop. I've learned that the legislative environment around tobacco is more fraught than I'd been aware, even after so many years as a cigarette smoker. I must find a way to vigorously support my local tobacconists while working within my budget. Food for thought.

Reactions: lawdawg and redglow

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I can see I am going to have to acquaint myself with the legal landscape. It seems that the spotlight is shone again on tobacco as collateral damage in the war against vaping. Would that be accurate?

Yes, that's definitely part of it, and the "new" FDA regulations that a lot of us are complaining about seem to arise from comparatively influential tobacco companies trying to deal with vaping moving into the "smoking" market. However the bottom line is just that tobacco use is getting less and less popular, and more and more people support restrictions, anti-smoking campaigns, and all the other anti-tobacco stuff.

It's really just that the cultural zeitgeist overall is against tobacco.

• Sad

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a real professional independently owned pipe shop in my town, and over the years I have bought probably six or eight pipes from him and bulk and tinned tobacco and supplies like pipe cleaners, and also consulted for advice on various subjects. This is Pipes by George in Raleigh, N.C. That being said, my wife has some health issues, as I do, and I don't often have the time to go across town, and like most, I am vulnerable to the excellent offers of online retailers. I'm not a heavy buyer, but I buy more tobacco than I smoke. I try to buy from my great local pipe shop, but online is often the way I feel I must go. It's a balancing act. I don't mind paying a little more when I can take the time. Being able to see a pipe in person before buying it is certainly worth paying a slightly higher price.

scottygod

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2013
Arizona
www.etsy.com
I suppose I'm fortunate to have two shops relative close. One is even a tobacconist/bar. Both are moderately stocked with bulk blends and offer few tins. I, too, would prefer to buy locally but it's tough when even with shipping I can get a greater selection for half the price.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I really enjoy my B&M. Shout out to Ye Olde Pipe & Stag Tobacconists in AZ. I buy estates and get recommendations and there are always guys I learn a little something from when I go in. I do buy some online for convenience and price. But, I always try to buy something from shop when I visit. Last visit I got a great deal on a ready to restore Nording.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
No tobacconist here in Portsmouth UK. All closed down.
rely on on line.
when there were tobacconists it was still cheaper online.
I do get my Condor ready rubbed from the supermarkets.
although some chains have stopped supplying it.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I support my local B&M. But I also refuse to pay stupid prices for things. Pox on those "Do Gooders" that are trying to prevent me from obtaining my tobacco because they are "worried" about my health. It is none of their business.

Jef
I should add that I am very lucky that the local shop charges $14 for a tin in store which you can get online for $10 but it is in stock and in my hands instantly.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Luckily there are several decent B&Ms in town. They accomodate pipe club meetings and we buy tobacco there. It's a great source for some of the harder to find blends.

When I want to stock up on blends or specific things I'll shop online.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have a decent brick and mortar store in walking distance. My policy is if I can buy from them I will but their selection is limited it's a cigar shop. The selection is small and about the same price I'd pay to order a single tin. They're not super knowledgeable about pipes but get points for not pretending to know more then they do. Their selection is small but obvious that they listen to the pipe smoking customers they do have. Oh their bulk selection and price is actually pretty good. Though they were out of the one I really wanted to try.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
If my local B&M has the blends that I want I will always buy from them. Sometimes the markup is steep but supporting local businesses is important. If they don't have the blends that I want then I'll go to an online dealer. Almost all my pipes are from B&Ms too. I've bought a couple online recently but as another forum member stated I like to hold them in my hand and get a feel for them before I buy.

Ted Vig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2019
Saint Paul, MN
Well, MN tax on pipe tobacco is about 95% so there's that. I do like to shop local and I'll split it half and half sometimes. I've bought lots of pipes locally. I will always pay the tax for Certain blends as its still half of eBay pricing, and available.

Status
Not open for further replies.