PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
It would be nice to see pipe and tobbacs kiosks in the mall..you know maybe a seasonal thing. I would much rather be accosted for some tobacco than for Israeli hand cream from the dead Sea!

I did a B&M round up in my area a couple of years ago. All of them was one or more of the following
  • 50 miles away - (J&R Cigars In Whippany,NJ)
  • No pipe tobacco
  • Expensive pipe tobacco
  • Ridiculously expensive pipe tobacco
  • Horrible Service
  • Street Parking where I have to drop quarters - and does not take more that two quarters at a time

• Wow
Reactions: UncleRasta

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
My local pipe tobacconist store is about a 45 minute drive from me. I’m still relatively new to the hobby, came over from cigars but the level of service and knowledge from a B&M can’t be beat. I don’t mind paying a slightly higher price for cigars, pipe tobacco etc at my local since their is a dedicated lounge I can smoke in. I do buy stuff online as well and shop around, but if only saving a few dollars I’d rather support any of my locals first.

My closest local is a cigar only shop that has a lounge 10 minutes away. The owner is always running good specials, especially for his regulars that he maintains a FB group for. I don’t think that level of service can be matched to a online store where you are just a screen name and dollar signs to the them.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
In The Peoples Republic of Michigan, they frown on buying tobacco via internet. Luckily, I travel around the state on a daily basis for my job. This gives me the opportunity to visit some good tobacco shops. There aren't many. But, I know where they are and stop in when I'm in the area. Just picked up 3 pounds of Peter Stokkebye Flakes this week. I'm just glad to have an opportunity to buy what I like. It's cheaper online. But, I totally understand the need for charging what they do. Gives me the chance to chat with people that are excited about piping. Also, it keeps "The Man" out of my hair. Which, to me, is the most important aspect.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
There is some speculation that mail order tobacco might eventually be banned.

I can see I am going to have to acquaint myself with the legal landscape. It seems that the spotlight is shone again on tobacco as collateral damage in the war against vaping. Would that be accurate?

Reactions: lawdawg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
The shop where we have our club meetings has a reasonable cost for pipes and pipe tobacco. We have made suggestions and the owner listens and often follows our suggestions. We are always greeted warmly.

Speaking of warmly, it is worth the drive and $10 monthly dues to be able to smoke in a warm location when there is snow on the ground.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I usually buy all my tins and bulk tobacco from my local shop when it is in stock. However, if I am looking for something that I know they won't carry or ever order, then I jump online and buy it. The last time I was in I asked if they would be able to order a specific blend and found that they could not because they were not a vendor for that company. So I went online and received it in a few days. I always check with them and try to support them as much as I can. I also smoke cigars so I only buy my sticks from them.

If you can afford to support the local shops, go for it! I am all about paying a bit extra to keep the heat on when I go smoke on a snowy day. However, I also understand not having too much extra money to spend like that so if an online retailer fits your financial needs then go for it! Either way keep cellaring!

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
The shop where we have our club meetings has a reasonable cost for pipes and pipe tobacco. We have made suggestions and the owner listens and often follows our suggestions. We are always greeted warmly.

Speaking of warmly, it is worth the drive and $10 monthly dues to be able to smoke in a warm location when there is snow on the ground.

Just yesterday, we had our first snow of the year in Denver and smoking on the deck did not look appetizing. I threw my coat on and loaded my pockets with tobacco gear an went to the shop for a few hours. Definitely worth it!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
$10 monthly dues to be able to smoke in a warm location when there is snow on the ground.
I wish we had something like this here. Right now the only real "club" or option (a 501 non profit) is a $500 initiation fee and $75 a month, plus $144 a year for a humidor locker. And that's just for the lowest level General Membership.

The other B&M in town is working on a smoking lounge now, hopefully they have more reasonable membership, or at least day use options.

• Wow

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Also, it keeps "The Man" out of my hair. Which, to me, is the most important aspect.

What is this hair you speak of? :rolleyes:

I have two very nice B&M's within convenient distance. Our pipe club meets twice per month, once at each location. Both businesses offer a modest discount to the club, helping to offset the cost difference. It's still more costly to buy local but they provide a nice environment and have bills to pay.

I've built my cellar over the past 2+ years to an adequate level to survive FDApocalypse. I do try to make a local purchase on each visit. They usually have something of interest or that's harder to get online.

Reactions: mikefu

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
As a photographer I always purchased locally. I can't be dealing long distance with repairs or replacements and I need loaners when something breaks and it does. Nikon looks after me now days as I no longer have a local dealer carrying long, fixed focus lenses.

Pipes and tobacco? I only buy pipes in person so I can fondle and closely inspect the pipe. I never want to get into trying to return a pipe via mail, email, FedEx, etc. Blends? They are cheap. If I can't find what I want, I go online. But, I don't buy used pipes and a photo doesn't show me anything, not even the correct color with many online vendors, so no online pipe purchases.

I'm not a pennypincher and can afford to pay the going rate for blends locally or mail-order.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
"What is this hair you speak of? :rolleyes: "

I'm one of the few people in my 50's around my circle of friends/family that has a full head of hair and no visible grey's. So, it's just a figure of speech. :)

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
There is some speculation that mail order tobacco might eventually be banned.
They may not ban it, but they will tax the ? out of it! You can bet on that. As always, follow the money trail to the government...

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
My "local" B&M is about an hour away. I try and visit it at least every other week. I always buy a tin or two just to help support it. Today he helped me find a Savinelli that is no longer made. The distributor had one stuffed in the back of the warehouse. Not sure if the B&M would have gone to the trouble if I didn't support him thru the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.