PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
My first were some Dr.Grabow Dukes that, I used to hide from my anti-tobacco father in the trunk of my Duster. I nervously tossed several of these when I thought he might have access to my trunk😄

Reactions: kcghost

ThomasS

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2024
Bayfield, WI
Well, embarrassed to say... my first was this ebony wood Whitluck Tobacco Pipe I found on Amazon for $23, including the pipe, a Czech tool, a stand, and some pipe cleaners. The only thing I still use is the stand and the Czech tool. Pretty pipe, but heavy and not very fun to smoke.
Don't be embarrassed, I'm the same! Mine was by "Scotte". This one's really not bad. Despite all the whinging in the comments, the bowl's comprable to a Grabow Lark. I pulled off the stingers, and I used the longer stem on a bowl that I made, but I still use it once in a while.

71hi5y+PI1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

KruegerFlap

Might Stick Around
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
My first pipe was a Dr. Grabow Savoy I bought back in 2015. I still have it and it smokes Captain Black White like a champion so that's all I smoke in it. That's the only pipe in my collection that I've dedicated to one blend.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Being a young woodworker I decided to make my first pipe because, you know, how hard could it be ? Shaped the stummel and sent it out to get a stem. Silly me, I drilled the chamber with a Forstner bit, which produces a flat bottomed holed. DOH ! Still smokes fine. Was a perfect straight grain until I hit a small pit on the bottom, which I filled. I think I made it in the early 80's. My friend Anthony Hopkins recently refinished it for me.
IMG_1535.jpg

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Dr Grabow bent billiard, not sure of the exact model.
I was 14 and bought it off of the display board along with a pouch of Borkum Riff at a Rexall drugstore by my house.
It really was a different world back then.
I still have it and smoke it from time to time.

I did not get along with the Borkum Riff and thankfully quickly discovered the Smoker's Haven in the local mall.
Mountain Mist and Cyprian Mixture were my two favorites and I smoked them for years.
I also smoked others of their house blends mostly aromatics, I remember a maple and a cherry blend, and one called Cavendish Delight, probably Lane blends but I didn't know of such things back then.