PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
My favorite tip so far is to dry ream with a paper towel after your done with the pipe. I almost never have to ream a pipe and my cakes are just thinner than a dime.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cavendish,
I do have a question on stirring, or rather a tip seeking question, how deep down should one stir, and is it only to break up the burnt bits on top? I never heard of stirring until I came onto this forum so that is fairly new to me.
I will lightly stir loose ash( with the pick end of my tamper) and dump it anytime I need to relight. It doesn't matter where I am in the bowl, trying to re light a bunch of ash is a pain and dumping it gives me a better smoking experience.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I admit to being pleased when I finish a bowl with no tongue bite or gurgle so that there is

very little unburned tobacco. It doesn't matter; a little heap of dottle (unburned tobacco)

is nothing. But it's nice when things come out pretty even.
About the two-finger method, my dad used to use the paper folder of matches to cover the bowl,

adjusting the angle a little to let in more or less air. I just use my fingers, but, same principle.
He used to tamp with his finger, gingerly, and seldom got burned, and I tend to do the same,

although when a pipe nail or tool is handy, I use that.
Some of this just comes with enjoyment. I almost said practice, but it's mostly a pleasure.

Don't get self-conscious; relight as often as you need to. Eventually, you will find yourself

relighting less.

Jan 8, 2013
My favorite tip so far is to dry ream with a paper towel after your done with the pipe. I almost never have to ream a pipe and my cakes are just thinner than a dime.
Do you allow the cake to build up to that point before hand? Or did it get to that amount using that method?

Jan 8, 2013
If i do this though, should I allow the cake to reach dime thickness first, or will it eventually get there using this routine.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011

Do you allow the cake to build up to that point before hand? Or did it get to that amount using that method?

I have pipes that I started out new this way and the cake just seems to build itself up to a sustainable thickness :)

Jan 8, 2013
I think I'm going to give that a try... I don't even own a reamer so we'll see how long I can go without having to purchase one :)

backyardbriar

Lurker
Apr 26, 2012
Mine is going to be more of a tip in conditioning your pipe than in the act of smoking it.

After you have finished smoking all of the tobacco in the bowl, assuming you have never dumped ash since you began smoking, take your tamper and disturb the tightly bound ash very gently. Then cover the top of the bowl with your hand and shake your pipe up and down while moving it in all directions to cover every inch of that inner bowl with your tobacco ash. That ash will stick to the side of the bowl from the resins from that smoke. Then turn upside down in an ash trash to remove the remaining ash and blow the circle of ash off of your hand. You are now on your way to building up the best cake you ever could in a much faster time.

Now take a pipe cleaner and insert it down through the draft hole until you see it reach the bowl. Grab the pipe cleaner end coming out of the stem right at the very point it comes out. Vigorously move the pipe cleaner back and forth and your fingers hitting the end of the stem will prevent the pipe cleaner from disturbing the ash sticking to your bowl whilst also clearing out that not yet harden resin in the draft hole. Flip the pipe cleaner around and do the same thing to get an efficient double clean!

Voila! Build a cake fast and taste fresh tobacco every time.

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
using a shortened pipe cleaner in the shank to restrict the draw and as a sort of absorbing filter......

Status
Not open for further replies.