PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
All great advice and thanks for posting that video! lol I packed my acron with this method and had great results this time. I don't think I was putting enough pressure into my palm before. He has a few more videos, I would really like to go to that tobacco shop and pick out a few nice pipes.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think a good bit of advice for beginners is don't forget to tamp periodically. Also I have to second giving a light gentle breath into the pipe when it begins to die down. It does tend to breath life back into the embers and keep the bowl burning.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
The only tip I have is to follow the Frank method. Works great for me. I just skip the part with the torch lighter and use matches instead but I pack it following his method and I've never had better smoking.
http://www.youtube.com/user/dracsspago?feature=watch

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
The Harry Method shown by that stuffy British guy
lol

I find his packing methind is good however not feasable if you are working outdoors. It makes a mess in your hand and the crumbs falling need somewhere to be caught (like a piece of paper) The pipe burns beautifully and I've never had to relight using this method. When I'm outside I just stuff 'n puff. They way I see it is if its not too tight, and it will light, then its done properly.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Re: Stuffy British Guy. If he's from Dublin, he'll not thank you for calling him British! :)
Re: Smoking Tip

When starting out, keep a small note book about the blends you try. Note down the types of tobacco are in each blend and what you like or dislike about them. That way, you can see a pattern emerging and make a more informed choice when buying new blends. Also, after you have been smoking a while, go back and retry a couple you originally disliked as your tastes may change as you smoke more.
Finally - don't get too caught up in the "right" way to smoke, just enjoy it!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
six, glad you and others are enjoying the 2 finger technique, I have always found it to be very useful. Yes tamping is also a good thing, but there are times when just a few quick puffs with the bowl covered is just what is needed.
tennsmoker, the stirring of ash in your pipe to build cake is an old wives tale and will do nothing to promote cake, trust me on this one.
My favorite tip that I have learned on this site is from Bent Mike and the cube cutting of my flakes. It could be the best one I have ever received.
Another great tip I received is from Bigvan who made me look at American artisan pipes. He told me if I didn't listen to him he was not going to talk to me anymore. lol

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I've never tried it, but I'm wondering whether the Harry Method works with all cuts of tobacco or just with a ribbon cut.
Anybody have any input on this?

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Hard to pick one but I'm going to. Harris posted once about stirring his ash lightly and dumping. That one thing has helped me more than any other single tip. Listen to the experienced smokers! Actually, maybe "listen to the experienced smokers" was the best single tip! - bp

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
I would add to the "less" theory (excellent points all, BTW), to think less than you are. If your front brain is actively engaged in all the "am I doing this right?" and all the other mental hobgoblins, you can't lose yourself in the moment.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Maybe we should collect all the hints and tips for new pipe smokers and have them in a sticky on the forum? Let's face it, there must be hundreds of years combined experience if you add all our smoking time together!

Jan 8, 2013
I'm about to load up the Savinelli using the stuffy guy technique :)
I've never tried it, but I'm wondering whether the Harry Method works with all cuts of tobacco or just with a ribbon cut.
Anybody have any input on this?
I think it's mainly for use with the ribbon cut tobaccos, but I did try it with Luxury twist last night after rubbing it out and tearing it up a bit. It seemed to work ok, but not as well as with ribbon cut.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I tried it with Mac Baren Plumcake and I had to unpack the bowl, rub the tobacco a little more to break up the cut flake. Doing so gave a more flavorful smoke and it burned drier. I also find packing with the Harry Method makes for a cooler, drier smoke. I hardly have to tamp it and I only light my pipe once instead of 2-3x. I also dump my ash and stir a bit half way through.
I do have a question on stirring, or rather a tip seeking question, how deep down should one stir, and is it only to break up the burnt bits on top? I never heard of stirring until I came onto this forum so that is fairly new to me.
I didn't mean stuffy in a bad way he just has that 'proper' U.K essecence about him. Seems like a pretty cavalier guy. Be pretty cool have a pipe and a pint with him.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
1. Use a dull pipe knife to ream after every smoke.

2. Use a pipe cleaner after every smoke. Then remove it to allow your pipe to air dry.

3. Give your pipe a rest after smoking.

4. Dedicate pipes to specific (or similar) blends.

5. Rotate your pipes and blends. It will keep your taste buds and your pipes alive and well!
Captain Bob

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.