PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Hello everyone, just curious if you had to guess, how many ounces/pounds of tobacco do you have cellared? Did you have a strategy behind that amount? Just thinking about my own cellar and how much I want to have set aside in case prices get ridiculous. Thanks for any input.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hello everyone, just curious if you had to guess, how many ounces/pounds of tobacco do you have cellared? Did you have a strategy behind that amount? Just thinking about my own cellar and how much I want to have set aside in case prices get ridiculous. Thanks for any input.
I can't say exactly, but somewhere around 120 lbs, which should keep me supplied for about 15 years or more, at the rate that I currently smoke.

As for strategy, I just wanted to ensure that I would have access to certain blends I really enjoy. Blends have a habit of disappearing without warning, and these days, getting altered with cheaper leaf. When I found something I really liked I'd buy a supply of it.

I never bought anything in quantity that I hadn't already smoked.

Aging is just something that happened as a consequence of stocking, but was never much of a goal.

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
I can't say exactly, but somewhere around 120 lbs, which should keep me supplied for about 15 years or more, at the rate that I currently smoke.

As for strategy, I just wanted to ensure that I would have access to certain blends I really enjoy. Blends have a habit of disappearing without warning, and these days, getting altered with cheaper leaf. When I found something I really liked I'd buy a supply of it.

I never bought anything in quantity that I hadn't already smoked.

Aging is just something that happened as a consequence of stocking, but was never much of a goal.
I’ve often wondered that for most folks aging is a byproduct of simply having more than you can smoke for a while. But woah also on the quantity. I’m adding up my stuff now.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Once the current 12 ounce tubs of many popular OTC’s have all been sold, I suppose we’ll only be able to purchase the newer 7 ounce tubs and at nearly the price of the old ones.

I’m personally satisfied with my cellar. I have 15 years of Granger and 5 years of Pegasus along with many assorted tins. But while the 12 ounce tubs remain available, they do offer the best value for your money.

Sablebrush52 is right. Here today, gone tomorrow. If you really like something, it’s wise to cellar your favorite(s).

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I have a little over 15 pounds stocked at the moment. I bought a punch of 1 and 2 oz bulks to try and then the ones I liked I bought in bulk. Not to the extent that some members have. I do want to get a lot more so I know I'll always have what I want. And I have some put away to age just a bit.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've reached the point where I won't be buying much of anything anymore. I can now enjoy a wide variety of aged stock for the rest of my life, however long, or short, that may be. There will continue to be the occasional Esterval's and Danish Pipe Shop order for new things that I do not have and want to try, but, as is, my daughter will inherit a lot of crap fine blends that she doesn't want or need.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Your question made me think about this subject... which I don't normally do.

I usually smoke 3-4 bowls daily, which is about two tins, or 3.5 oz/ 100g, per week.

Currently, I've got around 50 tins and about 20, 40 oz jars tucked away. Roughly about 7 lbs I think, not including the stuff I've got open and working through. Always trying to grow my cellar though.