Your Best Cheap Pipe; Here's Mine; Let's See Yours!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
What a great thread! This is mine, my IL Veliero, Erica. (Veliero means sailing ship.) This is a cheap Italian brand, mass produced. Picked mine up twenty years ago in Rome. After the Vatican tour and before the coma inducing pizza lunch, walked past a farmacia and there it was in the window. Only pipe I spied, and I loved it. Went in, salesman knew nothing about pipes but did know about tourists. "It's a Brebbia." I didn't care that he was lying. It cost E30. What I love about it, besides it being a great smoker, is that shank as wide as the bowl. This is my go-to travel pipe, tough a nails. I've tried to find another and every once in a while I find some Il Velieros out there but alas, none all black. Questa è la vita!Pipe.jpeg

Last edited:

JoburgB2

Lurker
Sep 26, 2024
Well, I am of a certain age 😁

I grew up on a diet of Beano comics and (the English) Dennis the Menace and his dog, Gnasher

As well as the US version by Hank Ketcham.
Loved Walter Matthau in the role as his grumpy old neighbour in the films
OzPiper, thanks for sharing your photos of your eBay bargains, they look fine specimens. A tedious correction however, your Beano Dennis the Menace and Gnasher are most definitely and certainly NOT English. They are Scottish. The Beano publisher, DC Thomson, is still headquartered to this day in Dundee, Scotland, and the first artist to draw them is Scottish and legend has it the characters were created in a brainstorm in a St Andrews pub. Cheers and keep piping!

Reactions: OzPiper and gord

gord

Can't Leave
OzPiper, thanks for sharing your photos of your eBay bargains, they look fine specimens. A tedious correction however, your Beano Dennis the Menace and Gnasher are most definitely and certainly NOT English. They are Scottish. The Beano publisher, DC Thomson, is still headquartered to this day in Dundee, Scotland, and the first artist to draw them is Scottish and legend has it the characters were created in a brainstorm in a St Andrews pub. Cheers and keep piping!
Being half English myself (the other have is thank God, Polish), I've realized from having many Scottish friends, is that they are basically, outside of the Pict/Celt things, basically English with brains. Tough to categorize these people, like English tobaccos. Certainly devious, though! And the English are considered by most professional violinists (like myself) to have the best orchestras in the world. Never was there a better band than the New Philharmonia in the 1960s, Ever, And St. Martin's in the Field, WOW.

DC Thomson is a gem. Let's not talk about the Irish, eh? :LOL: except for the fact that they're a lot of fun to drink with. And Irish Whiskey is great! Tell me, is there a tobacco named Irish Whiskey? Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzPiper

JoburgB2

Lurker
Sep 26, 2024
Being half English myself (the other have is thank God, Polish), I've realized from having many Scottish friends, is that they are basically, outside of the Pict/Celt things, basically English with brains. Tough to categorize these people, like English tobaccos. Certainly devious, though! And the English are considered by most professional violinists (like myself) to have the best orchestras in the world. Never was there a better band than the New Philharmonia in the 1960s, Ever, And St. Martin's in the Field, WOW.

DC Thomson is a gem. Let's not talk about the Irish, eh? :LOL: except for the fact that they're a lot of fun to drink with. And Irish Whiskey is great! Tell me, is there a tobacco named Irish Whiskey? Inquiring minds want to know.
Doesn’t Peterson have one? Or am I confusing their Irish Oak?

Reactions: gord

gord

Can't Leave
Peterson definitely makes a blend called Irish Whiskey, I have an unopened tin in my cellar.
They sure do! Found it! Next order for sure! Thanks! Here it is if others want to try! On sale now, too!

Reactions: khiddy and didimauw

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
How did I get it wrong with a half-Scottish (the other half is Irish) wife 🙄
I happily stand corrected 😔

Reactions: JoburgB2

gord

Can't Leave
How did I get it wrong with a half-Scottish (the other half is Irish) wife 🙄
I happily stand corrected 😔
It's been my experience, being a half and half myself, that eventually one takes on the best qualities of each half. You may be a lucky man!!

I'm devious, obnoxious, scholarly and conservative. As a matter of fact, I'm SURE you're a lucky man! And you're Australian to boot. Sounds like a win - win - win to me!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: khiddy and OzPiper

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
Here's mine - a mail order special offer Medico egg that I bought in 2022 when there was still a special offer printed on the back of the Medico filter box. This was toward the end Bill Feuerbach's long stewardship of the S. M. Frank Company and their Kaywoodie/Yello-Bole/Medico brands. I sent a note with a general description of what I hoped to receive, plus a postal money order for about 28 bucks, and a few weeks later received this wonderful pipe that in all likelihood was made and chosen for me by the man himself. It smokes as good as it looks, and I'm very glad to have a bit of that kind of history.
20210707_154300.jpg